This marriage united two families that I would like to know a LOT more about! Edward and Elizabeth were hubby's great-grandparents. Where country did the Steiners and Rineharts come from originally? Family legend suggests Switzerland, but I don't have anything to support that possibility. And how did these families wind up in Pennsylvania and then in Ohio?
Thanks to hubby's grandfather, Brice Larimer McClure, I have scraps of paper showing the names of one generation back in the Steiner and Rinehart families. On this first scrap, Brice wrote that his grandmother (Edward George Steiner's mother) was Elizabeth Steiner (1802-1864), who died at 62. Her maiden name? Don't know yet.
Elizabeth Rinehart's parents were Joseph Rinehart (1806-1888), who Brice notes died at 81. Joseph married Margaret Shanklin* (1807-1873). The first two children of Edward and Elizabeth Steiner are also mentioned on this scrap, Elveretta (who died young) and a son who died in infancy.
Children of Edward George Steiner and Elizabeth Jane Rinehart
Elveretta Steiner, Orville J. Steiner, Adaline M. Steiner,
Margaret Mary Steiner, Etta Blanche Steiner, Minnie Estella Steiner,
Carrie Eileen Steiner, and Floyda Mabel Steiner
My earlier posts about the Steiners and Rineharts:
- Surname Saturday entries for Steiner, 2013, 2011,
- Elizabeth Jane Rinehart Steiner's obituary and more.
- Obituaries of two of Elizabeth's children, Floyda Mabel Steiner McClure and Margaret Mary Steiner Post.
- My search for Margaret Mary Steiner Post, who moved to Knoxville, I finally found out.
- Steiner sisters in Upper Sandusky, Ohio.
- Photos of the Steiner sisters.
- Orville J. Steiner's death cert, while an inmate at an almshouse.
- Brice Larimer McClure's listing of the Steiner children.
- The Wood family visited Steiner graves in Upper Sandusky on Decoration Day.
- Joseph Rinehart's death at the home of his daughter, Elizabeth Rinehart Steiner.
* Margaret Shanklin is still a bit of a mystery. A source in Crawford County believes that the name should be "Shank" but two death certs (Nancy Rinehart Gregg and Hugh Rinehart) clearly show the name as "Shanklin." More research in my future!