Was my great-grandpa Meyer Elias Mahler (1856?-1910) part of the famed Luria family?
|Gravestones of Meyer Elias Mahler and Tillie Rose Jacobs Mahler|
Great-grandpa Meyer took the oath of citizenship to fulfill his dream of being naturalized in 1900, just a decade before he died.
Children of Meyer Elias Mahler and Tillie Rose Jacobs Mahler:
David Mahler, Henrietta Mahler, Morris Mahler, Sarah Mahler,
Ida Mahler, Dora Mahler, Mary Mahler*
Meyer's background is especially intriguing because his death certificate shows his mother as Hinde Luria of Kovno. So far, the Luria family genealogist hasn't found a definite connection, but the translation of Meyer's headstone indicates another connection:
Here lies the distinguished man from the branch of the fear of heaven, author of the sefer "Kanaf Ranannim," R' Meir Eliyahu son of R' Dovid Akiva, born in 5616 died 3 Shvat 5670.Here are my posts about Meyer and family, starting in 2008:
- Which ship did Meyer arrive on? (I'm still researching ships that arrived in New York City on the date Meyer told US authorities he came, May 27, 1885.)
- Meyer Mahler, d. 1910 (his death certificate).
- Meyer and Tillie's gravestones (and more about the Luria connection)
- Visiting Meyer and Tillie's graves (with closeup photos)
- What was going on in the world when Meyer came to NYC in 1885 (background about international, national, and local doings that shaped Meyer's world)
- Meyer Mahler becomes a citizen (in 1900)
- Meyer's grandson Sidney Burk crosses borders
- Seeking Tillie's siblings (my early post). I know now that she had one brother, Joe Jacob (or Jacobs??) who married Eva Michalovsky.
- Great-grandma Tillie died at 99. Or so we think, since she was cagey about her age, fooling her family into giving her a 100th birthday party early, according to fam legend.
- Tillie and some of her children lived at 2347 Morris Avenue in the Bronx, according to the 1925 NY Census--the same building where her daughter Ida and son-in-law Louis Volk lived.
- Joe Jacobs--where and when did he die? Joe Jacobs' naturalization papers show little info about his life.
*Mary Mahler turns out to be pivotal to my branch of the family tree, because she and her husband, Joseph Markell, worked with my mother's aunt, Rose Farkas Freedman, to introduce my mom to my dad. Read all about it here. One of Rose's sons has confirmed that Mary and Rose were best friends, so the story is undoubtedly true.
Posts about Markell:
- Barney, Esther, and Rose Markell - and the Atlas Theater.
- Two Lebowitz sisters marry Markell men.
- Joseph A. Markell goes to sea after father Barney remarries.
- Fannie Lebowitz, Rose Markell's mom.