As part of my Genealogy Go-Over, I'm reexamining the details I've gathered about ancestors. Now it's Barney's turn.
- The translation of his Hebrew name is: Binyamin Yitzchock Henoch, son of R' Alchonon Avraham. Knowing his father's name helped to connect him with his brothers (by seeing their gravestones and other documents).
- On his petition for naturalization, his name is shown as "Banna Markell."
- On his declaration of intention, his name is shown as "Bena Markell."
- On his first marriage license, his name is shown as "Berna Markell."
- On his second marriage license, 19 years after the first marriage, his name is shown as "Barney H. Markell."
- On his WWI draft card, his name is shown as "Banna Henry Markell."
- No WWII draft card found yet...but I've also seen his name as "Barnhart Markell."
RIP, Barney Markell, father-in-law of a matchmaker aunt who brought my parents together for their first date.