Abraham Berk (abt 1878-1962) came to Canada from Lithuania by way of England. Abraham was the brother of Isaac Burk, my grandpa (abt 1882-1943). Enroute to Canada, Abraham--a cabinetmaker, just like his brother Isaac--stopped in Prestwich, Lancashire, England for a time, married Annie Horwich (1882?-1948) in 1903, and continued his journey to North America in April, 1904--four months before his first child was born.
|Above, "abstract" of marriage registration; below, actual document.|
Why did he decide to move to Canada at that time? Why move his wife and infant daughter Rosa away from the Horwich family? And why did Abraham and Annie host her English niece, Minnie Horwich, in their Montreal home for two years, until Minnie married Maurice (Morris) Solomon in 1922?
I'm still searching for Abraham's passenger manifest showing his arrival in England. However, I do know that Abraham and Isaac Berk lived with an aunt and uncle named Chazan near Manchester, England, and that's where Abraham met his future bride. Isaac Chazan was a witness on Abraham's marriage license, shown above.
Children of Abraham Berk & Annie Horwich Berk:
Rose (Rosa) Berk, Lilly Berk, William B. Berk, and Irving (Isidor) Berk
- Rose Berk married Abraham J. Marks in Montreal in 1925 and after their two sons were born (Jack and Norman Marks), they moved to Los Angeles.
- Lilly Berk married Joseph Goldberg in Montreal in 1931 and had two children, Gerald and Harvey.
- William Burke married and had children. I'm in touch with his daughter! She told me an anecdote about my grandpa.
- Irving Berk married Anita Mendolsohn and they had a daughter, Deborah.
Minnie Horwich, the British-born daughter of Isaac Horwich and Jennie Barnett, sailed from Liverpool in 1920 to join her aunt Annie and uncle Abraham in Montreal. Her passage was "paid by relatives" and her nearest relative in her home country was Uncle A.H. Hartman in Sheffield, England. Was Minnie orphaned? I think her mother died, and possibly her father remarried. When Minnie married, her aunt and uncle made the announcement and the wedding. I haven't yet traced Minnie and Maurice's family after 1922. Stay tuned.
Posts about Abraham & Annie Berk and family:
- Isaac and Abraham Berk and siblings were born in the Pale.
- Abraham and Isaac lived with an aunt and uncle in Manchester for a few years.