|Available from Family History Center or view and download here.|
Robert's father gave him some Irish linen and sent him off from their home in the North of Ireland in 1740, to seek his fortune in America. The ship was wrecked and he was rescued by a passing ship and brought to America, where the captain sold Robert into indentured servitude to pay for his rescue.
The farmer who bought Robert ill used him for years until finally our ancestor high-tailed it to the "Kishocoquillas Valley" in Pennsylvania, where he married Mary Gallagher (or O'Gallagher), originally from the North of Ireland.
As noted in the handwritten genealogy by Brice Larimer McClure, hubby's granddad, Robert's son Isaac M. Larimer married Elizabeth Wood (or Woods) and they begat John Larimer, who begat Brice S. Larimer, who begat Margaret Jane Larimer, who married William M. McClure--the father of grandad Brice McClure. The Larimer book lists dozens of Larimer cousins, but it's 50 years out of date, so we're hoping to connect with more of them soon.
Children of Robert Larimer & Mary O'Gallagher:
Isaac M., Ebenezer, Guzilla (female), Mary, Phoebe, Rhoda (and possibly more)
Here are my posts about the Larimer family:
- Brice Larimer McClure, son of Margaret Jane Larimer and William Madison McClure, was born in 1878 in Little Traverse, MI.
- Margaret Jane Larimer inherits a Masonic life insurance payout when her husband William Madison McClure dies of typhoid fever.
- How the Larimers came to America.
- The tombstones of Margaret Jane Larimer and William Madison McClure.
- The Larimer shipwreck story (again).
- Marriage document of Brice S. Larimer and Lucy Bentley.
- A bit about the Larimers in Pennsylvania.
- Brice S. Larimer was a RR agent.
- Margaret Larimer McClure's children.
- Lucinda H. Bentley Shank, sister-in-law of Brice Larimer.
- Major James Elmer Larimer, son of James Larimer and Asenath Cornwell Larimer.
- Tombstones and background of John Larimer and his wife, Rachel Smith Larimer, who settled in Wabash, IN.
- Brice S. Larimer, Elkhart pioneer.
- Larimer, Short, and Work families - cousins (!?) from Ireland, intermarried in America.