|James Edgar Wood|
(see death cert, below)
A big thank you to Cousin Larry, whose meticulous research has traced the Wood line back to the 1500s.
Thomas and Mary had 17 children over the course of 28 years, although not all lived beyond childhood.
In order from oldest to youngest, they are:
- Jane Ann Wood (1846-1936) married George Black.
- Thomas Jefferson Isaiah Haskell Wood (1848-1861)
- John Marshall Taber Wood (1850-1859)
- Lucy Maria Kize Wood (1851-1870)
- William Henry White Wood (1853-1893)
- Alfred Olando Wood (1855-1895)
- Francis Ellery Wood (1857-1933)
- Joe Elemuel Wood (1859-1864)
- Lavatia Allen Wood (1859-1864)
- Charles Augustus Wood (1862-1895)
- Rachel Ellen "Nellie" Wood (1864-1954)
- George Howard Wood (1866-1866--d. in infancy)
- Marion Elton Wood (1867-1947)
- Mary Emma Wood (1869-?)
- James Edgar Wood (1871-1939) SHOWN ABOVE - hubby's great-grandpa!
- Robert Orrin Wood (1873-1933)
- Leander Elkanah Wood (1874-1874--d. in infancy)
William Henry White Wood married Allise (Alice?) and had four children, according to the 1880 Census: Hattie, Phillip, Cathie, and Thomas. He had a second wife, Olive Osborne, with whom he had a daughter, Mary Amanda Wood (and possibly other children). The story of this daughter and her husband August J. Carsten is here.
What about Charles Augustus Wood, a carpenter who died of "la grippe" in 1895? Did he marry? Or have kids? Still digging...
|Mary Slatter Wood (seated left) and husband James Edgar Wood (seated right) with their children|
Here are my posts about the Wood clan:
- Thomas Haskell Wood and many of his sons were carpenters (Thomas's dad was captain of a merchant ship). More about Wood family carpenters. More about James Edgar Wood's house-building in Cleveland. Addresses of James Edgar Wood's homes in Cleveland.
- John Andrew Wood, brother of Edgar James Wood (hubby's dad), lived in Crown Point, IN. I learned a lot from his obituary.
- James Edgar Wood married Mary Slatter on 21 September 1898.
- Edgar James Wood's trio played at "Marty's" in Cleveland. He wrote and copyrighted a number of songs. He spent a couple of summers playing with a jazz band to pay for passage to and from Europe while at college.
- Edgar James Wood kept a diary and he and his wife, Marian McClure, loved to take cruises. His diary helped me identify two cousins, Edith and Dorothy.
- Plaquemine, LA, and the church where Thomas married Mary.
- Edgar James Wood's detailed college photo album from Tufts, Zeta Psi House, 1925.
- James Edgar Wood married and divorced Alice Hopperton Unger.
- Elihu Wood (hubby's 3d great-grandpa) served 6 days in the American Revolutionary War.
- Wood family photos and a complete listing of Thomas Haskell Wood & Mary Amanda Demarest's 17 children.
- Alfred Olando Wood of the Wood Bros Carpenters.
- Isaiah Wood and Harriet Taber of the "Little Compton" Woods.
- Isaac, John, and Robert Larimer, 1812 War vets.
- Marian Jane McClure Wood passes through McClure, Ohio in the 1930s.