Sunday, November 29, 2020

Review of "Genealogy At a Glance: War of 1812 Research"



My husband had two War of 1812 veteran ancestors, Isaac Larimer (1771-1823) and his son, Robert Larimer (1792-1850). 

Despite conducting research in the past, I found fresh leads and documents thanks to the newly-updated War of 1812 Research "Genealogy at a Glance" booklet* - which I'm reviewing today. 

I really like these types of four-page summary booklets. Laminated, colorful, and easy to read, they cover well-known sources (such as the National Archives) and lesser-known sources (such as POW and preservation societies) as resources for finding ancestors. 

In this 1812 booklet, a handy section titled "Finding a War of 1812 Soldier" serves as the jumping-off point, followed by concise explanations and lists of research resources to explore by category. 

Lineage Society Link Leads to a Find

This updated booklet mentions four lineage societies to check for info about ancestors who fought in the War of 1812. Clicking to the top site on the list, the General Society War of 1812, I looked at the membership menu and found a lengthy set of links to state-by-state research data. 

Hubby's ancestors lived in Ohio when they enlisted. Alongside several printed research sources was a link to the Internet Archive's digitized Roster of Ohio Soldiers in the War of 1812, published by the Adjutant General of Ohio in 1916.

When I searched this digitized roster for "Larimer," two results showed up on the same page. My husband's two Larimer ancestors served in Capt. George Sanderson's Company (from Fairfield County, Ohio), as shown here. 

For quick "at a glance" reference and detailed ideas for how to research 1812 veterans, I highly recommend this updated edition.

*The Genealogical Publishing Company provided me with a free review copy of War of 1812 Research--Updated Edition but the candid opinions in this post are entirely my own.  

UPDATE: On Fold3, I discovered that Pvt Robert Larimer was a drummer with this company! 

No comments:

Post a Comment