|Photo from Naturalization Documents, 1939|
Children of Isaac Burk & Henrietta Mahler Burk:
Mildred Burk, Harold Burk, Miriam Burk, Sidney Burk
Did Isaac come to North America with siblings? What became of his brother(s) or sister(s) and his parents? How did he get from his homeland of Lithuania to the port of Liverpool, where he boarded the S.S. Lake Erie for passage to Canada?
Abraham and Anne had three more children in Montreal: Lily, Willie, and Irving (Isidor in the records). My guess is that Willie or Irving attended my parents' wedding in NYC, because the man at right in the photo above was in the wedding photos and then, a year later, my parents (left and center in the photo) were with him in a Montreal restaurant, where the photo was taken.
Here are my posts about Isaac and children, from 2008 on (see below for Henrietta Mahler Burk's links):
- When Henrietta met Isaac, 1905 (they're in the same apartment in the NY Census, but he's a boarder, his possible brother Meyer Burke [sic] is a boarder, and Henrietta is the daughter of the household head, Meyer Mahler)
- Isaac and Henrietta pose together for a photo in the countryside
- Birk or Birck? (summary of Isaac's surname and his possible hometown Gorsk, in Kovno)
- The world when Isaac married Henrietta in 1906 (a quick time-travel view of major world/national/local events that were the backdrop for my grandparents' lives at this time)
- Isaac's wife Henrietta, the mogul? (A bit of financial funny-business on paper when my Dad applied for a bond as a travel agent)
- Isaac's obit in the New York Times (quite terse, considering it was war time and his two sons were in Europe fighting in the Army)
- Isaac was Lithuanian (how I found that out)
- Isaac's Kovno (a bit about his home area, now known as Kaunas)
- Uncle Sidney's Montreal birth record (he was named Samuel B. Berk at the time)
- Uncle Sidney Burk crosses the border
- My Dad on Father's Day and as a travel agent and in WWII
|Henrietta Mahler Burk, 1946|
- Henrietta Mahler Burk and her son, Harold Burk, circa 1940.
- Henrietta and the house on Rodman Street, Washington, D.C.
- Henrietta's youngest daughter, Dora, died in 1950.
- Henrietta's son--my Dad--and the granddaughter Henrietta never met.
- Henrietta's brother David Mahler and his obit
- The Markells (who married into Mahler family) meet and marry the Lebowitz sisters.
- More on the Markell brothers and Lebowitz sisters.
- Mary Mahler Markell (Henrietta's sister) was a matchmaker: Through her friend and neighbor Rose Farkas Freedman, my Dad met my Mom.
- Ida Mahler (Henrietta's sister) married Louis Volk. Louis's sister Becky married Simon Wolf.