|Photo from Naturalization Documents, 1939|
aunt and uncle Isaac and Ann Hinda Chazan in Manchester, England (see 1901 UK census, above). Most likely, Hinda (nee Mitav) was his relative.
|Isaac and Hinda Chazan|
Isaac then sailed for North America and made landfall in New Brunswick, on December 5, 1903 (seasick). He made his way to Montreal. Abraham stayed on in Manchester and married Anne Horovitz. Their first child, Rose, was on the way before Abraham sailed to Canada in 1904 and settled in Montreal, as well. For more, see the Abraham and Annie Berk page.
In May, 1904, Isaac took the train from Canada to New York City, saying he was going to "sister Nellie Block at 1956 Third Ave., corner of 107th St." in Manhattan. Alas, I've never been able to trace Nellie, although I have later photos of her.
Isaac married Henrietta Mahler on June 10, 1906 (setting the stage for becoming my grandparents!). They spent the next 8 years or so moving back and forth between New York and Montreal as he found work and their four children were born (the youngest in Montreal).
Children of Isaac Burk & Henrietta Mahler Burk:
Mildred Burk, Harold Burk (my Dad), Miriam Burk, Sidney Burk
What became of Isaac's parents? How did he get from his homeland of Lithuania to Manchester, England?
The man at right in the photo was in their wedding photos and then, a year later, my parents (left and center in the photo here) were with him in Montreal, where this photo was taken. His name was William Burke, the son of Abraham Berk, and he was my father's first cousin.
- When Henrietta met Isaac, 1905 (they're in the same apartment in the NY Census, but he's a boarder, his possible brother Meyer Burke [sic] is a boarder, and Henrietta is the daughter of the household head, Meyer Mahler)
- Isaac was born in the Pale (and probably his brother Abraham, brother Myer, and sister Nellie or Nella)
- Why Isaac sailed to New Brunswick (and never set foot on a seafaring vessel again)
- October 7, 1943 - Newly found photo of Isaac walking arm-in-arm with his wife and family on the day before he died
- Isaac and Henrietta pose together for a photo in the countryside
- Birk or Birck? (summary of Isaac's surname and his possible hometown Gorsk, in Kovno)
- The world when Isaac married Henrietta in 1906 (a quick time-travel view of major world/national/local events that were the backdrop for my grandparents' lives at this time)
- Isaac's wife Henrietta, the mogul? (A bit of financial funny-business on paper when my Dad applied for a bond as a travel agent)
- Isaac's obit in the New York Times (quite terse, considering it was war time and his two sons were in Europe fighting in the Army)
- Isaac was Lithuanian (how I found that out)
- Isaac's Kovno (a bit about his home area, now known as Kaunas)
- Isaac and brother Abraham live in Manchester, England for a time with their aunt and uncle, Isaac Chazan and Ann Chazan.
- Uncle Sidney's Montreal birth record (he was named Samuel B. Berk at the time)
- Uncle Sidney Burk crosses the border
- My Dad on Father's Day and as a travel agent and in WWII
- My Dad the grad (photo and certificate)
- Isaac Birk's aunt Hinda Mitav Chazan, Lithuania to Manchester, England
- Abraham and Annie Berk visit Isaac Burk in 1919
- Isaac was the son of Neche Gelle Shuham? So says his Soc Sec app.
|Henrietta Mahler Burk, 1946|
- Henrietta Mahler Burk and her son, Harold Burk, circa 1940.
- Henrietta and the house on Rodman Street, Washington, D.C.
- Henrietta's youngest daughter, Dora, died in 1950.
- Henrietta's son--my Dad--and the granddaughter Henrietta never met.
- Henrietta's brother David Mahler and his obit.
- Captioning a photo with Henrietta and her son, my Dad.
- The Markells (who married into Mahler family) meet and marry the Lebowitz sisters.
- More on the Markell brothers and Lebowitz sisters. Also, who's missing from Fannie Lebowitz's obit (her daughter, Rose Markell)
- Mary Mahler Markell (Henrietta's sister) was a matchmaker: Through her friend and neighbor Rose Farkas Freedman, my Dad met my Mom.
- Ida Mahler (Henrietta's sister) married Louis Volk. Louis's sister Becky married Simon Wolf.
- Henrietta & Meyer Mahler's twin granddaughters check out a new TV console.