|Photo from Naturalization Documents, 1939|
Children of Isaac Burk & Henrietta Mahler Burk:
Mildred Burk, Harold Burk, Miriam Burk, Sidney Burk
Did Isaac come to North America with siblings? What became of his brother(s) or sister(s) and his parents? How did he get from his homeland of Lithuania to the port of Liverpool, where he boarded the S.S. Lake Erie for passage to Canada?
Here are my posts about Isaac, from 2008-2012 (see below for Henrietta Mahler Burk's links):
- When Henrietta met Isaac, 1905 (they're in the same apartment in the NY Census, but he's a boarder, his possible brother Meyer Burke [sic] is a boarder, and Henrietta is the daughter of the household head, Meyer Mahler)
- Birk or Birck? (summary of Isaac's surname and his possible hometown Gorsk, in Kovno)
- The world when Isaac married Henrietta in 1906 (a quick time-travel view of major world/national/local events that were the backdrop for my grandparents' lives at this time)
- Isaac's wife Henrietta, the mogul? (A bit of financial funny-business on paper when my Dad applied for a bond as a travel agent)
- Isaac's obit in the New York Times (quite terse, considering it was war time and his two sons were in Europe fighting in the Army)
- Isaac was Lithuanian (how I found that out)
- Isaac's Kovno (a bit about his home area, now known as Kaunas)
|Henrietta Mahler Burk, 1946|
- Henrietta Mahler Burk and her son, Harold Burk, circa 1940.
- Henrietta and the house on Rodman Street, Washington, D.C.
- Henrietta's youngest daughter, Dora, died in 1950.
- Henrietta's son--my Dad--and the granddaughter Henrietta never met.
- The Markells (who married into Mahler family) meet and marry the Lebowitz sisters.
- Mary Mahler Markell (Henrietta's sister) was a matchmaker: Through her friend and neighbor Rose Farkas Freedman, my Dad met my Mom.
- Ida Mahler (Henrietta's sister) married Louis Volk. Louis's sister Becky married Simon Wolf.