Tuesday, April 9, 2024

A Bio for Jennie, Two Memorials to Manage


My great aunt Jennie Birk Salkowitz was born on this day 134 years ago--on April 9, 1890 in Gargzdai, Lithuania. She came through Ellis Island on September 7, 1909, just 19 years old, and worked in the New York City garment district until marrying her husband, Paul Salkowitz (1889-1957). They were happily married for 38 years, jointly owning and running a Florida citrus grove after moving South from the Big Apple in the post-WWII period.

To honor her memory, I'm sharing her bite-sized bio on additional websites. When I posted her bio on MyHeritage, I also added a link within the bio to lead to her Find a Grave memorial page. It's easy, once I clicked on the link icon. As shown above: I pasted in the URL for her memorial page, chose the text where this link would be (here, the name of the cemetery), gave the link a title ("Find a Grave for Jennie B Salkowitz") and selected to open the link in a new window.

Then I went to her Find a Grave page to submit the same bite-sized bio as an edit, see image below. 


At the top of the page (see arrow) I noticed that Find a Grave was offering me the opportunity to manage Aunt Jennie's page. I don't necessarily feel the need to manage every memorial of every ancestor, just those of ancestors closest to me. But in this case, if the memorial has no manager, I think it makes sense to step up.

I clicked "Request to Manage" and yes, I'm now taking care of her memorial. Once the bio was in place, I clicked on her husband's link and was offered the opportunity to manage his page, as well. I've already posted his bite-sized bio there. Happy to honor their memories in this way!

4 comments:

  1. My husband's great-grandfather had orange groves in Lakeland, too. He was born in the state of Georgia, moved to Alabama, and then to Florida after the Civil War. He was there a goodly number of years before your ancestors got there. Small world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great bite sized bio, Marian. The nice thing about managing a memorial is that you can add the person's parents (if you know them), which often links them to their siblings. One more way to give back to the genealogy research community.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice family story but also nice procedural story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I recently took over as manager of my great-grandmother's Find a Grave Memorial. It had been started by someone else, but he had posted that he would be happy to turn over management to a relative. So I asked, and he readily did so. This is the first memorial I'm managing. Kind of makes me want to check out other people in my family to make sure family members are managing them.

    ReplyDelete