Tuesday, April 2, 2024

Put Yourself into Your Family's History

As I write about my husband's paternal family, I've found a few ways to insert ourselves into the narrative and photos. 

For example, this page in my latest photo book is all about hubby's great uncle, Capt. John Daniel Slatter (1864-1954). John was one of three brothers who joined the British Army as young teens or preteens, working their way up through the music ranks. All three served 15-20+ years in the British military before they came to Canada and became bandmasters. All three attained the rank of captain and were well-known in their regions. Capt. John D. Slatter gained worldwide fame for leading one of the original kiltie bands.

Not only did I tell of John's distinguished military career (which began at the age of 11), his WWI service, and his personal life, I also accentuated the theme of military service through the generations by explaining that two of his sons served in WWI and a grandson served in WWII. 

Also, I wrote that hubby and I had been to the 48th Highlanders Museum in Toronto to learn more. My husband was honored to be allowed to hold Capt. Slatter's special sword, and to see the many medals he was awarded, now displayed in the museum. Who knows, maybe descendants will one day visit the museum and be inspired by this ancestor. 

The two color photos on this page put us into the context of family history. It's part of my plan to keep ancestral stories and faces alive for the future, with us in the picture too!

6 comments:

  1. You are so on point with this. Personalizing these stories and connecting them to still living people is what is going to make them live on and connect with the next generation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love this! I feel like it made that connection more "real" even for me, a non-family member, reading the page.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's wonderful, and the connection between past and present is an important part of telling these stories. Makes me want to drag out my scrapbooking and finish some of them. After I do the income taxes and get them filed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How clever!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your photo books and descriptions! Nice layout! Very clever to strategically include yourselves somehow in this biographical sketch! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What great information you have found about his family. I am sure that relatives will become interested because of the info you have found and how you are sharing it.

    ReplyDelete