Tuesday, December 27, 2022

Looking Ahead to 2023 Genealogy Priorities


The year 2023 will be the 25th year of my genealogy journey! In my final post for Amy Johnson Crow's #52Ancestors prompts for 2022, I look ahead to genealogy priorities for the new year.

  • Continue writing bite-sized ancestor bios. During NaGenWriMo in November, I blitzed 70 ancestor bios onto multiple genealogy sites, some bios about people on my tree and some for my husband's tree. I'm still adding bios of spouses and in-laws, and still doing a bit of fresh research when I focus on an ancestor I haven't looked at for a long time. I never know what additional details I may find! By posting bios, I'm sharing what I know with the wider world and keeping the memory of these ancestors alive for the future. Addendum: Also paw through files to curate notes, digitize what's needed, discard what's not needed.
  • Resume my photo album project. I slacked off on moving photos from archival boxes to archival albums, after a strong start earlier in 2022. Now I want to get back to curating and moving photos, digitizing and adding captions where needed, so future generations will know who's who. This is also a way to make old family photos more accessible "on demand" (when a relative shows even the slightest interest). 
  • Research ancestors and FAN club members of particular interest. My tree and hubby's tree have lots of branches and leaves after so many years of genealogical research. Now I'm going to concentrate on people who are particularly important or interesting in my family's history, such as Hinda Ann Mitav and her husband, Isaac Chazan. They hosted my grandfather in Manchester, England, en route from Lithuania to North America in 1901. Hinda is almost certainly a sister of my great-grandma, Necke Gelle Burk.
  • Genealogy presentations. I use Fold3 often but the browse/search functions are not intuitive, so my new talk will share practical tips for navigating the site to find military records and much more. I'll also be showing how and why to create memorial pages on Fold3 for men and women who served in the military. I've retired my talk about social media for genealogy, because of the ever-changing situation on Twitter and my learning curve on Mastadon (I'm at @MarianBWood@genealysis.social). See a list of all my presentations here.
  • Genealogy education. I'm furthering my genealogy knowledge by subscribing to Legacy Family Tree Webinars and attending RootsTech, as well as by continuing my membership in genealogy groups near and far so I can access their programs. Going into my 25th year of genealogy fun, I know enough to know there's a lot more I could and should know.
Readers, wishing you an enjoyable and productive year of genealogy in 2023!

8 comments:

  1. Your list isn't terribly long, but it will keep you busy. :) Happy New Year to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And may 2023 be a great year for you and your family! TY for reading and posting.

      Delete
  2. I started listening to Legacy Family Tree Webinars 2 years ago and love it. Quite often I listen to them as a "podcast" when I am in the car, actually more than I do sitting in front of the computer. I absorb a lot of information that way, but I do also go back for specifics on things that catch my attention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karla, this is a great idea! I'm going to try it. Thanks, and happy new year.

      Delete
    2. Like you, I listen to them while traveling. I'm a truck driver and always have a podcast or class ready to go.

      Delete
  3. Your list is short enough to be doable. Good luck in 2023. I see you're presenting to societies near me. I'll have to "tune" in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great minds think alike! I just finished registering for all the Legacy Webinars I'm interested in for 2023!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your goals look alot like mine...like many of us! LOL May we all find a little time this year to get some of them checked off our list! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete