Thursday, April 19, 2018

Mind the Gap--Between Children

NYC death cert of Wolf Mahler, who died at age 3
Only two weeks ago, I learned that my paternal great-grandparents (Tillie Jacobs Mahler and Meyer Mahler) had a young son (Wolf Mahler) who sadly died in 1894 in New York City.

Of course, Wolf's short life shouldn't have been entirely "new" news, since Tillie said on the 1900 US Census that she had 9 children in all, with 7 alive at the time. But I suspected the two children might have been born and died in Latvia, before Meyer came to America in 1885, followed by Tillie in 1886. Take a look at the gaps between children:

Henrietta, b. 1881 in Latvia
David, b. 1882 in Latvia
-------6-year GAP----- Children born/died before move to America?
Morris, b. 1888 in NYC
Sarah, b. 1889 in NYC
-------2-year GAP-----
Ida, b. 1891 in NYC
-------2-year GAP-----
Dora, b. 1893 in NYC
-------3-year GAP------
Mary, b. 1896 in NYC

Now I have Wolf Mahler's death cert in hand. I can confirm he was definitely part of my family. Sorry to say, he died of "acute Bright's disease" (meaning liver problems).

The next step was to place little Wolf in the correct gap between children born to his parents.
No birth date was given on Wolf's death cert, so I used Steve Morse's very handy page for determining the time between two events "in one step." As shown above, I plugged in the date of death as January 13, 1894. The cert said Wolf's age was 3 years, 4 months, and 3 days old. Thanks to Morse's calculator, I now know the boy was born on September 10, 1890. Ta-da, one gap accounted for, between Sarah and Ida.

While I look for clues to the second baby who died, I'll also make a Find a Grave memorial for Wolf and link him to his parents. Luckily, I can still use the old interface to do this!

1 comment:

  1. I have used age calculators available online but never the Steve Morse one. I guess it never occurred to me to look for one there. He does have lots of tricky tools so I should probably refresh my memory of what all is on his site.

    ReplyDelete