As shown above in the 1900 Census, my paternal grandmother (Henrietta Mahler Burk) was one of 7 living children of Tillie Jacobs Mahler and Meyer Elias Mahler.
The next-to-youngest girl was my great-aunt Dora Mahler, born in July 1893, according to this 1900 Census. Alas, I never met her, but she is fondly remembered by one of my 2d cousins.
Despite looking in New York City birth indexes and searching in Family Search records, I can't find Dora's actual birth certificate. When was she really born?
- The June, 1905 New York Census showed Dora as 11 years old.
- The April, 1910 US Census showed Dora as 15 years old.
- The June, 1915 NY Census showed Dora as 20 years old.
- The January, 1920 US Census showed Dora as 24 years old.
- The June, 1925 NY Census showed Dora as 30 years old.
- The April, 1930 US Census showed Dora as 35 years old.
- Still searching for her and her Mom in the 1940 US Census.
- Social Security's records show Dora's birth as July 11, 1894. But then again, her name is listed as Dorothy Lillian, not a name she was ever called in the family.
Dora is buried at Beth David Cemetery on Long Island, NY, but I haven't yet ventured out to see her grave (nor is she in Find A Grave or on Beth David's grave locator). So for now, I'm going to say Dora's birth date was July 11, 1893. Until new evidence emerges!