Monday, February 7, 2011

Matrilineal Monday - the Steiner sisters

My husband's maternal grandmother, Floyda Mabel Steiner McClure (1878-1948), was the baby of nine in her family. Here's a photo of Floyda with three of her sisters. From left, Carrie E. Steiner Traxler (1870-1963), Blanche (Etta) Steiner Rhuark (1864-1956), Floyda, and Minnie Estella Steiner Halbedel (1867-1947). Carrie and Blanche lived around the corner from each other in Upper Sandusky, OH. Floyda lived in Cleveland.

The above photo must have been taken about 1938 or so. How do I know? The photo below, with Minnie at right and her husband Edward N. Halbedel (1865-1946) at left, includes my husband Wally, age about 3 or 4, and his younger sister. 
Recently I was in touch (via Ancestry) with a Traxler descendant and we plan to share info. I can hardly wait! More cousins to connect with. She and my husband both remember Aunt Blanche's parrot, who would say "Brice McClure" and "Polly want a cracker" over and over (and over and over). Why would the parrot be talking about Floyda's husband Brice? No clue, but it's a vivid memory for both.

4 comments:

  1. I just love these old photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Dee! Actually they're scanned from good copies sent by my sis-in-law, who has the originals. A little fixing with Picasa and voila! Sharp enough for the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a lovely picture. Their smiles, eyes, arms draped around one another - a wonderful sister portrait!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Much obliged for your comments!

    ReplyDelete