This marriage united two families that I would like to know a LOT more about! Edward and Elizabeth were hubby's great-grandparents. Where country did the Steiners and Rineharts come from originally? Family legend suggests Switzerland, but I don't have anything to support that possibility. And how did these families wind up in Pennsylvania and then in Ohio? My best guess now is the families arrived within a decade before or after the American Revolution.
Thanks to hubby's grandfather, Brice Larimer McClure, I have scraps of paper showing the names of one generation back in the Steiner and Rinehart families. On this first scrap, Brice wrote that his grandmother (Edward George Steiner's mother) was Elizabeth Steiner (1802-1864), who died at 62.
But note that on this scrap are listed two children of Edward George Steiner & Elizabeth Jane Rinehart Steiner: Elveretta Steiner (b. 1854) and son-infant (b. 1852). A wonderful volunteer in Crawford county, OH, found Elveretta buried in Oceola Cemetery #2 (d. 17 Feb 1855) and the baby son in the same cemetery (birth/death dates the same, 23 Oct 1852). All the other children are buried in Old Mission Cemetery, Upper Sandusky, OH.
Elizabeth Rinehart's parents were Joseph Rinehart (1806-1888), who Brice notes died at 81. Joseph married Margaret Shank* (1807-1873). The first two children of Edward and Elizabeth Steiner are also mentioned on this scrap, Elveretta (who died young) and a son who died in infancy.
9 Children of Edward George Steiner and Elizabeth Jane Rinehart
Infant; Elveretta Steiner, Orville J. Steiner, Adaline M. Steiner,
Margaret Mary Steiner, Etta Blanche Steiner, Minnie Estella Steiner,
Carrie Eileen Steiner, and Floyda Mabel Steiner
My posts about the Steiners and Rineharts:
- Surname Saturday entries for Steiner, 2013, 2011,
- Elizabeth Jane Rinehart Steiner's obituary and more.
- Obituaries of two of Elizabeth's children, Floyda Mabel Steiner McClure and Margaret Mary Steiner Post.
- My search for Margaret Mary Steiner Post, who moved to Knoxville, I finally found out. Mary and her husband Elroy Post's unique tombstones.
- Steiner sisters in Upper Sandusky, Ohio.
- Photos of the Steiner sisters.
- Orville J. Steiner's death cert, while an inmate at an almshouse.
- Brice Larimer McClure's listing of the Steiner children.
- The Wood family visited Steiner graves in Upper Sandusky on Decoration Day.
- Joseph Rinehart's death at the home of his daughter, Elizabeth Rinehart Steiner.
- Unsolved Steiner mysteries that I'll keep researching in 2014.
- Minnie Estella Steiner Halbedel's famous bro-in-law, painter Frank Halbedel.
- Searching for Jacob S. Steiner, a big brickwall in Crawford county, OH.
- Searching for Steiners and Rineharts in Crawford county.
- George and Joseph Rinehart are buried in Oceola #2 cemetery, Crawford county, OH
- Looking for Elizabeth Steiner's maiden name--Elizabeth was the wife of Jacob S. Steiner, and the mother of Edward George Steiner.
- Floyda Steiner, Blanche Steiner Rhuark, and Margaret Mary Steiner Post visit a cousin, Pearl Hill--who is Pearl and how is she related?
- William Steiner, son of Jacob S. Steiner, was born in Berks county, PA
- Mrs. John Quincy Steiner was a champion!
- Still searching for Jacob S. Steiner's death date and place.
- Looking for Floyda Mabel Steiner Gottfried's divorce papers, circa 1900-1903
- Can I sit down to tea with Elizabeth Jane Rinehart Steiner? Here's what I want to ask her.
- William Steiner married Catherine Coder in December, 1850.
- Steiner and Rinehart buried in Old Mission Cemetery, Wyandot County, Ohio. Steiner in the courthouse!
- Samuel D. Steiner arrested and convicted of aiding/abetting burglary.
- Finding the Rinehart family in the 1870 Census meant searching a village of websites!
* Margaret Shank is still a bit of a mystery. A source in Crawford County believes that the name should be "Shank" but two death certs (Nancy Rinehart Gregg and Hugh Rinehart) clearly show the name as "Shanklin." Seeing no "Shanklin" names in local directories or cemeteries, I agree that "Shank" is quite likely. However, Shankland is another possibility. UPDATE: Because of Rinehart in-law info just come to light in mid-2019, the "Shank" maiden name is much more likely.