In this post, I'll describe the process of submitting the veteran's memories (interview, documentation, the works) to the LOC.
Interview on USB or...
The lovely volunteers who recorded my video interview with my vet (my husband) gave me the recording in MP4 format on a USB drive I had provided. I watched it from beginning to end, to be sure the interview was complete and looked good. I watched it a few more times to create the video log described in the previous post.
Then I made several copies, on my computer and on other USB drives. (I don't use CD or DVD at this point, although these are allowed by the LOC guidelines for submissions.)
The Library of Congress will accept a USB drive, but it does not want any label or writing on the drive. So I put my USB into a small envelope, sealed it, and marked the outside with the vet's name, etc.
Paperwork too
After making a copy of the small stack of LOC paperwork required to go with the interview (plus having pdfs on my computer), I checked the cover letter checklist one more time. Yup, everything was there.
I clipped the pages together and put them into a small box. On top of the papers I put the USB in its envelope. Then I added a bit of clean filler to keep the box's contents from shifting or rattling. I addressed the box as directed by the LOC and sealed it very securely to keep the contents safe. (I love the sound of packing tape being ripped from the dispenser as I wrap boxes and envelopes.)
Sorry, no postal carriers involved
The LOC warns against using the US Post Office for submitting materials. Why? Because of special screening for materials mailed to the LOC (and other US government entities in Washington, D.C.), as noted on the image above.
Instead, any submission for the Veterans History Project must be made by UPS or FedEx or, if you live nearby, delivered in person.
I sent my vet's package via the cheapest ground shipping of UPS, and it was delivered within two days. It cost more to ship than the US Post Office but rules are rules. My hubby's military veteran memories are worth the small extra expense to be included in the venerable Library of Congress.
In less than three weeks, I received a postcard acknowledging the submission. The LOC also told me the wait time is 8 to 10 months to hear whether the submission meets requirements and is processed into the collection. I do hope my hubby's interview will be processed by late spring of 2027!
No comments:
Post a Comment