Thursday, January 2, 2020

Who We Are and How We're Related

List of Larimer ancestors written by Brice Larimer McClure
"I am Brice McClure, a son of Margaret Larimer McClure and Wm. McClure," begins the scrap of family history above. It was written by my husband's maternal grandfather (Brice Larimer McClure, 1878-1970) in the first half of the twentieth century.

The family treasures this scrap of paper in Brice's handwriting, listing what he was told about his Larimer family's history. It also demonstrates Brice's pride in his family's background and his hope that these ancestors would be remembered for generations to come.

Brice set a wonderful example: He told descendants (1) exactly who he was and (2) exactly how he was related to his ancestors.

I've been putting my name and the date on every family history booklet I write. Now I realize that's not enough information about me.

When I wrote my most recent booklet about my late father-in-law's musical life, I added a longer note to the title page:
"Written by Marian Burk Wood, daughter-in-law of Edgar James Wood, in December, 2019."
In a decade or two, when some descendant pulls this dusty booklet off the shelf, he or she will see both my name and my relationship to this ancestor.

Although I could add even more info to explain how I fit into the family, I want to keep things simple and leave the spotlight on the featured ancestor in my booklet.

Now future generations will at least know my name, my relationship to the ancestor I'm writing about, and when I prepared the booklet.

2 comments:

  1. Smart idea. I was assisting a woman with her DAR application and needed to prove the relationship between a 3X and 4X great-grandparents. DAR does not always accept genealogies published in books but because the writer was a member of the family and alive at the same time as the 3X great-grandmother, DAR accepted the book as proof. So I agree - always good to establish your "authority" by showing the relationship.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Wendy, this is great. TY for that insight!

      Delete