Thursday, January 16, 2020

Census Day Bounced Around, and So Did Some Ancestors

From 1950 Census of Population: Vol. 2 (https://www.census.gov/library/publications/1953/dec/population-vol-02.html)

In 2020, Census Day will be April 1st. This is not April Fool!

But Census Day hasn't always been April 1st. I try to keep this in mind when looking for my ancestors in earlier Census years.
  • As shown in the excerpt above, Census Day was originally not a fixed date but taken on the first Monday in August.
  • In the mid-19th century, Census Day was changed to June 1.
  • In 1910, Census Day became April 15.
  • In 1920, Census Day became January 1.
  • Only in 1930 was Census Day fixed as April 1, where it remains.
Because my great-grandpa Meyer Mahler died in January of 1910, my great-grandma Tillie Jacobs Mahler was enumerated as a widow on April 15th--a vital clue I needed to find his death cert. If Census Day had been January 1, however, it would have been more difficult for me to narrow down a possible death date for him.
Focus on 1950 Census

As the excerpt indicates, two-thirds of the US population was counted by mid-April in 1950. By month's end, 90% of the population was counted.

However, "unfavorable weather conditions" in some areas delayed enumeration as late as mid-May. Finally, by the end of June, 99% of the US population was counted. I'll be sure to check the enumeration date on each ancestor's record when the 1950 Census is released in April of 2022.


From a broader perspective, the 1950 Census reflected major post-war trends in population shifts. The map above shows that four states experienced population loss. All others increased population--with the greatest growth on the West Coast, plus Florida, Virginia, and Michigan.

As I chart my ancestors' whereabouts in the 1940s to prep for the 1950 release, I need to consider how many might have moved elsewhere after World War II. There are at least a few who went west to California. Dear ancestors, you can run, but you can't hide. I hope!

For more posts about the 1950 US Census, see my summary page here.

5 comments:

  1. Marian, This is a great series to get us all ready for the 1950 census. Thank you for providing so many details about the enumeration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All of these posts are helping me get ready for the 1950 release AND with a new genealogy presentation I'm prepping for 2021. Thank you for reading and leaving me a comment!

      Delete
  2. I have a note in Evernote to keep track of these census enumeration dates. I wrote about my husband's grandfather arriving the day before census enumeration day in 1910 at A Surprise in the 1910 Census.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How lucky that this ancestor arrived BEFORE enumeration day! Thanks for reading and commenting.

      Delete
  3. I agree - excellent series.

    ReplyDelete