Saturday, August 25, 2018

Happy Blogiversary #10


Hard to believe that this is my 10th blogiversary. Above, the very first post I wrote in 2008, searching for when and where paternal Great-Grandpa Meyer Elias Mahler died. And, as sometimes happens, I had to retrace my steps and look at clues I'd already seen, checking with fresh eyes.

Making progress on family history projects begun since my last blogiversary:
  • Farkas Family Tree index. Thanks to a 2d cousin getting in touch, I have more family-tree association minutes to scan, index, and add to the thick book of minutes and historians' reports dating from 1933-1963. This will be finished before my next blogiversary. Here's a link to my popular post on how to index.
  • Farkas Family Tree letters. My wonderful cousin B has been helping me by proofreading my transcriptions of the WWII letters written by members of the Farkas Family Tree who served in the military. Almost done with that project.
  • Slatter and Shehen families. With the help of the Charles Booth poverty maps, I've been deepening my understanding of hubby's Slatter and Shehen family background in London. Turns out they were even poorer than I had imagined.
  • Wood family. Slowly continuing to scan and crop photos from the Wood family's 1972 trip to Venice for a planned photo book. The adults on that trip (and one or two kids) have shared memories to fill out the narrative. I need to begin arranging the photos and typing the captions, so the photo book will be ready by end of this year.
It was a year of learning and making connections! For the first time, I attended the amazing RootsTech conference and used the giant Family History Center in Salt Lake City. Next month, I will be at the New York State Family History Conference. In between, I've gone to numerous genealogy club meetings and gained new ideas from many expert speakers.

Speaking of speaking, my latest genealogy presentations include Do the "Write" Thing, Using Twitter and Facebook for Genealogy, and Genealogy 101. For next year, I'm prepping another new talk, Find Real Clues in Other People's Family Trees. And I was thrilled that my book, Planning a Future for Your Family's Past, became a #1 Amazon Kindle best-seller this year.

As my 11th year of genealogy blogging begins, I want to say thank you. Thank you, dear cousins, for finding me and getting in touch. Thank you, dear readers, for being along on the journey.

13 comments:

  1. Wow. Happy Blogiversary, Marian, you have had a great genealogy year! Here's hoping I still have as many interesting stories to tell when I hit 10 years blogging :-) Wishing you every success in year 11, and thereafter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are “blogiversary twins”!!! Today I’ve been blogging five years! So happy we’ve connected. Here’s to many more years of blogging fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Blogiversary and here's to ten more years!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks for your anniversary wishes, Elizabeth!

      Delete
  4. A very happy 10th blogiversary, Marian! Love your articles, esp. those about your ancestors in New York!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yvonne, I really appreciate your compliments...and I'm sure my 11th year of blogging will include some posts about NYC!

      Delete
  5. HAPPY BLOGOVERSARY TO YOU, HAPPY BLOGOVERSARY TO YOU, HAPPY 10TH BLOGOVERSARY DEAR DAHLING MARIANNNNNNNNN, HAPPY BLOGOVERSARY TO YOUUUUUUU!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy blogiversary to you! I love reading your stories and I'm so glad we had a chance to meet at RootsTech. Are you attending in 2019?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, it was such a pleasure to spend time with you in SLC! Not sure whether I'll be there in 2019, but will let you know if it's a yes. Thanks for your good wishes.

      Delete
  7. Happy Anniversary, Marian. Here's to another decade of great blog posts (and research, too).

    ReplyDelete