Wednesday, August 29, 2018

Sgt. Schwartz, Teacher and WAC


Back-to-school time makes me think of my auntie, Dorothy H. Schwartz (1919-2001), a long-time teacher of steno, typing, and related business subjects at Christopher Columbus High School in the Bronx, New York. Not only was her steno speedy and accurate, she was a superb touch-typist and she authored one or two user's manuals for dictating machines.

As a teacher, Dorothy was nicknamed Sgt. Schwartz. Yes, she was demanding. Yes, she expected a lot of her students (and her family). Luckily for me, I didn't have her as my typing teacher, although Sis did.

Dorothy had been a real-life sergeant in the Women's Army Auxiliary Corps (later shortened to WACs). Enlisting during World War II, she trained for Army administrative duties and was soon sent to England and France. Dorothy and her colleagues would listen in as military leaders outlined plans for bombing raids, then they would quickly type out the orders for distribution to those who carried out the missions.

I know, from reading her letters home, that she felt intense pressure on the job and had a strong sense of personal responsibility as well as a very patriotic spirit. Lives literally depended on the typed orders being correct, complete, and on time. Dorothy really did earn her Bronze Star for "meritorious service" in wartime Europe. Bear in mind that she enlisted at the age of 22 and left the service as a seasoned veteran at the age of 24.

To her high school students, she was "Sgt. Schwartz," but I knew her as "Auntie Dorothy."

Thanks to Amy Johnson Crow for this #52Ancestors prompt.

4 comments:

  1. Reading my father's (and others') papers from 20th century military service, I have been agog at the long lists of names, serial numbers, birth dates, enlistment dates, etc., apparently typed perfectly in one pass. I know from personal experience that correcting a typing error in those days was almost never a perfect fix. My hat is off to your aunt and the others who made that happen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom was a WAVE, although she was stationed Stateside in San Diego for the war. They really were the "Greatest Generation."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Marian and Linda, for taking the time to leave me comments! Yes, they really were the "Greatest Generation" and I am so grateful to know as much as I do about these members of my family tree.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a strong woman your aunt was! A great post, Marian, highlighting such a fascinating woman in history.

    ReplyDelete