Tuesday, December 12, 2023

Looking Ahead to 2024 Genealogy Priorities


Well, 2024 is nearly here! It will be my 26th year of genealogy obsession, I'm happy to say. Also, 2024 will be my 16th year of genealogy blogging.

In the coming year, my priorities will be:
  • Create a family history photo book about my husband's paternal grandparents. This is likely to be the longest and most detailed of my photo books, because I have a lot to share (research, photos, stories) about James Edgar Wood and Mary Slatter Wood, and their siblings. I'll blog as I work on it.
  • Continue writing and posting bite-sized bios of ancestors. Some bios I've already written form the basis of content in my photo books...and vice versa. Over time, I'm posting brief ancestor bios on WikiTree, Find a Grave, Fold3, FamilySearch, MyHeritage, and more.
  • Switch old photos from archival sleeves to safe, convenient photo albums, a project that fell to the back burner in 2023. I love working on old photos when there's a big snow storm outside. So if January in New England turns out to be snowy, my photo project (including captioning) will gain momentum.
  • Continue redoing research on focus ancestors, as new info becomes available and as I try different sites. In 2023, I learned how my husband's maternal grandparents met, by researching the social columns in newspapers that only recently were digitized. More of that in 2024. Also, I love learning more about in-law ancestors. Sometimes researching them gives me a clue about a direct ancestor OR gives me context for understanding family dynamics of the past.
  • Slim down and reorganize surname file folders. I'm slowly pawing through my surname file folders, consolidating/digitizing research notes, tossing unneeded paper (like printed-out census pages). This is another wonderful snowy-day activity that usually sends me down a rabbit hole as I follow up on something I forgot about or didn't understand the first time I saw it.
  • Genealogy programs, education, connections. I'm still making presentations, still taking webinars, and will be attending some local genealogy meetings in 2024. Most important to me, I'm keeping alive the cousin connections I've made in my years of researching family history. 
  • Saving family history in institutions. I still have a few items from family history that I'll be donating to institutions in 2024. More about that in upcoming posts. 
Dear readers, I wish you a new year of peace and a tree full of genealogy fun!

8 comments:

  1. Your 16th year of blogging - congratulations! December 1 completed the 14th year for me, although I'm nowhere near as prolific as in the past. Your priorities for your genealogy will give you lots of material to write about. Looking forward to reading more of your posts in 2024!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your 16th year of blogging in 2024. I loved reading about your goals. I do enjoy goal setting and have been thinking about mine and will be posting about them early in the new year. #geneabloggerstribe

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll be entering my 14th year if blogging, I wish I knew what year I started genealogy. Over 30 years ago. Congratulations on your accomplishments and good luck on your future year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, sounds like you already have a solid plan for next year! Kudos to you for planning ahead!The only "paper" stuff I have are my notes, in one very small file box, and some small surname presentation folders I have , just with family group sheets, vital records, and obits, along with a few other important documents. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Reading about your goals makes me think of setting some, myself. I've been distracted by other things, outside and inside the family, for many years now - including earning my second master's degree. Now I may be where I can seriously get to work on my neglected family history and revive my poor neglected blog. You're downright inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoy your work with photographs. I feel like I am always working on mine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A well-rounded and solid list of goals for 2024. Hope you achieve them all!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great and achievable goals, Marian! Just for you, I will pray for a snowy January to help you get in the mood :)

    ReplyDelete