Friday, December 29, 2023

Big Focus on LOCKSS Online

Back in 2018, which was the 20th year of my genealogy journey, I began using RootsMagic. First, I really wanted to be able to sync with Ancestry and have my family trees handy on my own computer. Second, I wanted Mac software, with a roster of robust features that wasn't too complicated to learn. RM7 worked well for me for several years.

When I upgraded to RootsMagic 8, I liked the colorful new interface, but the software didn't always sync properly. I admit I didn't want to invest a lot of time trying to learn the bells and whistles, because to my mind, that took precious time away from my research and documentation. Plus this software is only on my computer, and my heirs are very unlikely to be excited about learning specialized software just to access the family tree. 

Dear readers, I recognize that some folks are very much into genealogy software. They know all the ins and outs and they appreciate the convenience. I just didn't have the ooomph to make it up the learning curve. Turns out, genealogy software just isn't my thing. 

Lots of copies keep stuff safe

As I enter the 26th year of my genealogy journey, I am more determined than ever that my family history will live on, for relatives and for researchers interested in my ancestors. Booklets and photo books are great for my immediate family, but I'm thinking longer-term.

That's why I've been expanding my trees on Ancestry, MyHeritage, and WikiTree, as well as posting bite-sized ancestor bios on those sites plus FamilySearch, Find a Grave, Fold3, and elsewhere. Of course, I continue to tell family stories and explore genealogy questions on this blog, which is in its 16th year. 

I'm putting my faith in LOCKSS--lots of copies, spread across many online genealogy sites, should keep stuff safe for the future, in 2024 and well beyond.

4 comments:

  1. I admire your commitment to getting your genealogy out there in lots of places.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The colorful hard cover books will continue to engage generations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had published many of my family lines almost a decade ago. I admit there is way more info for those lines now, but I'm not sure if I want to redo any books...that ship has sailed, way too much work and time that I no longer have. I agree with you that family members wouldn't want to learn about software because the family tree is on it, nor would even be interested in looking at it that way. For me, FTM is just to make reports to share; it's too much work to learn the ins and outs of it to use as a tree...who has that much time. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a good idea. Who knows what technology will be like when I'm gone and if my daughters will be able to read my genealogy software. Great suggestions on the different places to utilize.

    ReplyDelete