Saturday, December 23, 2023

Keeping Our Own Memories Alive for Today and Tomorrow


The final genealogy prompt in Amy Johnson Crow's #52Ancestors challenge for 2023 is "me, myself, and I."

Since 2007, I've created photo books featuring photos from my hubby's and my activities and adventures, big vacations, and family reunions. Above, a small sample of these books. Inside, the photos are arranged chronologically from January to December, and captions explain what's happening in each photo. Every so often, I pull a book off the shelf, leaf through, and relive those memories, happy that the photos are conveniently available.

At least once in each book, I caption a group photo with full names. Why? Although we all know who everyone is today, future generations may not recognize some people. How I wish I had inherited more photos with full names and dates! I'm learning from that experience by captioning as completely as I can.

Books or albums are a great way to get family photos off our phones and into print so others can see them too, IMHO. 

In the far future when my hubby and I join our ancestors, we hope these photo books will be enjoyed by those who come after us. Meanwhile, I'm currently working on the 2023 retrospective photo book of our "adventures."

Thank you to Amy Johnson Crow for the gift of #52Ancestor genealogy prompts throughout 2023, and now a new set of prompts for 2024.

3 comments:

  1. I love your books. I have only made books of our vacations but it's the same idea. Many of our vacations include our children, so these books will likely be saved in the future. I hope my girls don't fight over them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the inspiration! I have made a few family vacation books, but need to condense my children's childhood albums into smaller books. I think I will follow your lead and arrange them chronologically from January to December.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an awesome idea to do with the photos... now all can have copies.

    ReplyDelete