Sunday, July 3, 2022

Independence Day Postcard from 115 Years Ago

 

For Independence Day 115 years ago, my hubby's uncle Wallis W. Wood (1905-1957) in Cleveland, Ohio received this colorful penny postcard in the mail. 

I just love these vintage postcards, still in the family more than a century later.

The sender was Rachel "Nellie" Wood Kirby (1864-1954), an attentive aunt living in Chicago, Illinois. 

Nellie and other members of the Wood family rarely missed an opportunity to send penny postcards to younger relatives. 

One year, Nellie even sent her nephew a postcard for George Washington's birthday on February 22, which was celebrated as a federal holiday beginning in 1879. 

Today, of course, George Washington shares his official holiday with Abraham Lincoln, both celebrated on Presidents' Day. 

Happy Independence Day!

3 comments:

  1. I, too, love old postcards. I've seen the one you have of George Washington, but not the one of Uncle Sam, which I love. Happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AnonymousJuly 03, 2022

    Charming!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have the best collection of postcards. I love them!

    ReplyDelete