Monday, January 3, 2022

Caption Crazy: Foundation for Future Genealogy


This is my year to go caption crazy. Before I dive into the latest batch of ancestral photos that await scanning, captioning, and storage, I'm completing a photo book featuring highlights of 2021. Even in a pandemic year, my husband Wally and I had some adventures and family gatherings that didn't involve teleconferencing ;)

I began this photo book tradition at the end of 2008, with a slender softcover book featuring favorite photos of family and vacation fun of that year, complete with brief captions.

Since then, I've created at least one photo book per year and sometimes more than one. At right, a selection of these photo books, filled with colorful images plus captions that remind us of what we did each year, the ups and downs of our lives.

For the next few days, I'll be finishing up the full-year photo book for 2021 and pressing the button to print. 

The memories are precious to my husband and me--and the captions naming names and places will be a great foundation for future generations interested in our family's history.

A bonus: Photo books are professional, look polished, and are more likely to be kept by future genealogists because they are full of family history being made year by year!

- "Foundation" is the first prompt in Amy Johnson Crow's #52Ancestors challenge for 2022. 

4 comments:

  1. Hmm, I want to know what happened the year that Marian and Wally wanted a Do-Over!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We want a do-over on 2020, the first pandemic year--when we had travel and family gatherings planned and then postponed, and finally wiped off the calendar altogether. Sigh.

      Delete
    2. Yeah I want that do over too!

      Delete
  2. I love photo books and I have making them, too. However ours are about our trips mostly. I do lots of journaling in them and often our children are on the trips with us or we are visiting them. I agree. These books are more likely to be kept. They are also smaller in size than the Creative Memories scrap/photo books I did for my daughters.

    ReplyDelete