Thursday, December 6, 2018

New Home for A Childhood Stamp Collection

My father, Harold Burk (1909-1978) always hoped that his daughters would come to love collecting postage stamps.

Dad was a travel agent, and often received cards and letters from abroad. Stamps were readily at hand and if not, there were easy ways to fill in the collection. Inexpensive armchair travel!





Dad knew a stamp dealer, and he would bring home colorful pages of stamps in an attempt to intrigue my sisters and me. Sorry, Dad, we never caught the bug, although we enjoyed looking at stamps from far-off places.


Now this childhood stamp collection is going to a new home, to a girl who's expressed a real interest in collecting stamps!

2 comments:

  1. My father also collected stamps. I was interested for a while but never enough to do it on my own. I didn't find the albums I remember after my father died, but I did find some.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly my experience--I wasn't interested enough to do it without Dad. But now a little girl is going to have the few stamps I did collect for a fresh start on this hobby!

      Delete