Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Wedding Wednesday: Great-Aunt Rose's 1925 Bridal Outfit

My stylish great-aunt Rose Farkas married dapper George Freedman in New York City in 1925.

Here she is in her fashionable bridal gown and floor-length veil, holding a magnificent bridal bouquet. Very 1920s and very sophisticated, IMHO.

A few months ago, I scanned this portrait at 1200 dpi, gave the original to one of Rose's sons, and made a copy for the other. They were thrilled and I was happy to reunite the original portrait with the proper part of the family tree.

Rose was one of six daughters and five sons born to Moritz (Morris) Farkas (1857-1936) and his wife, Lena Kunstler Farkas (1865-1938).

One of Rose's sons just told me that this wedding outfit was made by Rose's sis-in-law, Jennie Katz Farkas. Jennie was married to Moritz & Lena's oldest child, Alex (Sandor), and Jennie was renowned as a fashion seamstress. Turns out that she made nearly all the bridal outfits (and maid/matron of honor dresses) for her sisters-in-law!

8 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous bride. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Heather. Even if I didn't know Rose's marriage date, I'd be able to guess it was 1920s because of that fashionable flapper haircut and cap, don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful photo! Classic 1920s!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cynthia, you are so right--her lovely outfit is classic, romantic 1920s!

    ReplyDelete
  5. AnonymousJuly 17, 2013

    What a stunningly beautiful bride! Love the 1920's look! She looks like a movie star! Luv from Philly Cuz

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Philly Cuz! I agree, she looked very glamorous and elegant. Perfect for a Wedding Wednesday photo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an amazing photo! It looks like it would have been an elegant wedding. With the long veil, I would imagine she would have been married in a large church with a long aisle to get the full effect as she walked down the aisle to meet her husband-to-be. Do you know where she was married?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Janet, I only know that she was married in New York City. But maybe her sons remember--I'll check with them. It would be fun to know!

    ReplyDelete