Monday, May 15, 2023

Bite-Sized Bios Show Up in Search Results!

 


I've been writing bite-sized bios of ancestors in my family tree and my husband's family tree and posting to multiple websites. Why? Because LOCKSS (lots of copies keeps stuff safe). I don't want these ancestors' names and lives to be forgotten in the future . . . posting brief bios now is part of my plan to keep family history safe for today and tomorrow.

Earlier today, I did an online search for my husband's paternal grandfather, James Edgar Wood (1871-1939), and my bite-sized bios turned up in the first 40 search results. As shown above, this includes both WikiTree profiles and Find a Grave memorial pages!

Not only are bios an excellent way to memorialize ancestors, they also serve as very good cousin bait. Anyone who clicks on these two results will see me as the page manager and be able to send me a note. I've posted bite-sized bios on FamilySearch and other genealogy websites as well.

Little by little, I'm continuing my bite-sized bio project, also memorializing siblings/spouses/in-laws of my ancestors, and making sure to include those who had no descendants. 

3 comments:

  1. Great tip! They always have, along with ANcestry, MyHeritage, family genealogies, and so much more. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Cousin bait" Haha! I actually love the idea of these bite-sized bios. I'll have to keep this in mind moving forward. Great tip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terrific Idea. I will have to keep it in mind.

    ReplyDelete