Monday, March 1, 2021

Mom Kept Score, So I Keep Score Too

How does a tradition begin and then get passed down through a family (and beyond)?

My Mom (Daisy Schwartz Burk, 1919-1978) loved playing Scrabble. She not only taught her daughters to keep score, she kept the score cards from our family games in the Scrabble box.

Remembering Mom's tradition of putting score cards into the box, I've been doing the same. For, well, a long time. Here are some score cards from 1984, 1995, and 1998. Just a sampling of the many stuffed into game boxes over the decades. (Not always full names, usually initials because families know who's who, right?)

Who Wants Old Score Sheets?

Yesterday, after playing a card game with my wonderful Sis, I crammed the handwritten score card into the game box, along with all the other score sheets. Sis wondered whether I should keep saving these odd bits of paper with scribbled info. 

I snapped photos and texted to the younger generation to ask their opinions. It was unanimous.

Answers: (1) "Oh please keep them in the box if for no other reason that evidence of our weird childhood handwriting hahahah." (2) "There are decades of game scores to prove we got together!" (3) "Keep!!"

Sparking Memories


I was in a gals' game group for more than a decade and naturally collected the score sheets in my game boxes. While pawing through the boxes today, I came across this handwritten score from September 19, 2011. It sparked a happy memory of one of the laugh-filled nights we gals had together: A delightful adult pajama party, complete with teddy bears and favorite dolls.

"Teddy bears came along for hot cocoa" reads my note at top left of the score sheet. "No jokers, thanx" (referring to the rules we adapted for the night). And a photo of all our beloved stuffed pals sharing a chair. 

Although this game group doesn't meet any longer (due to pandemic restrictions and members moving away), seeing the score sheet brings a smile to my face--remembering the joy of special time with special friends. 

The score sheets aren't really heirlooms, but they are tangible momentoes of happy times with family and friends. I'm leaving them in the box for future generations to enjoy.

3 comments:

  1. I can relate to the one who said KEEP as a reminder of their childhood handwriting. My mom saved one of my assignments from 4th grade. I had such beautiful handwriting then. Note-taking in college certainly did a number on it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wendy, I agree with you! TY for reading and commenting.

      Delete
  2. I love this! Definitely KEEP. They really don't take up extra room since they're in the game box. A wonderful chronicle of happy days!

    ReplyDelete