Monday, October 16, 2017

Family History Month: Who Needs an Official Record?

Too often, states only want to sell "official" vital records, charging fees that are more than I really want to pay.

So I applaud the Ohio History Connection for making death certificates available for just $7 each. These are uncertified and not for any official use, but perfect for genealogy! All I want is to  pull every last detail from such records.

Of course, not all of the details are going to be accurate. Case in point is this death cert, obtained through Ohiohistory.org. It's for hubby's grandfather, James Edgar Wood.

The most accurate piece of info on this is the death date. The informant's name is completely incorrect, the widow's name is incorrect, the father's name is completely incorrect. No mother's name is shown, and the birthplace of the mother is entirely incorrect. Note that the handwritten name of deceased had to be corrected from "Woods" to "Wood."

Let me say how glad I am that I only spent $7 on this unofficial copy! I'm collecting and digitizing all BMD and naturalization records for everyone in my direct line and that of my husband, so it's great to be able to save a few bucks. And to help other researchers, I always post purchased records like this on my public family trees.

For more in my Genealogy, Free or Fee series, click here.

 

2 comments:

  1. In October 2015, Ohio Legislation changed the law on non-certified copies of birth and death records. You can now request a non-certified copy to view as before, but now you may take a picture with your phone and camera. I argued with my local vital statistics office that a jpg is a jpg whether from a camera or scanner. Ended up calling the Columbus vital statistics office and they agreed with me. But, they are unable to tell other offices what to do. Unsatisfied, I called Portman's office (my local state representative) and they also agreed with me. So, now in Tuscarawas County, OH you can scan the records for free!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Denise, thanks for the update. I sent for this death record about 4 years ago, so I didn't know that "scans" are now possible for free. Good to know!

    ReplyDelete