Thursday, August 29, 2024

Kossuth Association Plot Photos on Multiple Sites


The Jewish Genealogical Society of New York maintains a database of more than 10,000 society burial plots located in dozens of New York area cemeteries. Recently, the JGSNY asked for photos of society plot gates or columns to be submitted so those who search the database will not only find out the exact location but also see the gates. 


My Farkas ancestors are buried in the Kossuth Association plot of Mount Hebron Cemetery in Queens, New York. Above, the entry in the JGSNY database. Note there's no photo in this screen shot. Very soon there will be! I submitted the composite photo shown at top, to be added to illustrate this burial society's entry in the JGSNY database. Since only one photo can be posted per burial society, the JGSNY recommended putting several photos together into one composite to show more. That's what I did.

Then I went to Find a Grave and added the same composite photo to the cemetery photos of the memorial page for Alex Farkas, who led the cemetery committee for the Kossuth Assn. I'll write a bite-sized bio for this page to explain. After all, family history is written on those gates.

I want to memorialize this burial plot in more than once place not only because it's where my ancestors are buried but also because my ancestors were cofounders of the society, which helped Jewish immigrants from Hungary to get settled in New York City. 

No comments:

Post a Comment