Saturday, June 1, 2024

Back Up and Keep Back Ups Current

 


It's the first of the month, time to back up all your digitized family history files and genealogy data. Think about protecting everything you've digitized or downloaded and filed digitally, in case of computer problems.

This year, I replaced my older external hard drives with a new, tiny but mighty external hard drive that has a lot of storage capacity. I kept the old drives, because they have all my personal and genealogical photos. But external hard drives eventually need to be replaced. It was time to replace BEFORE I needed to access the data due to some glitch or crash.

I use the tiny hard drive in the picture for my Mac "Time Machine" hourly backups. This small external drive is faster and more convenient than the 2020-era drives I used to use. I like that it takes up less space and it completes backups in a shorter time.

For extra protection, I also back up every day in the cloud and regularly duplicate special/important files to a USB, ready to transfer if needed. 

Download online trees and back up, too

In addition, I have family trees on multiple genealogy sites and occasionally download the gedcoms for these so they are on available on my desktop Mac and backed up in the cloud. 

On Ancestry for instance, go to "tree settings" when you're in your family tree, then select "Manage Your Tree...Export Tree" (see image at right) and be prepared to wait if the tree has thousands of individuals. But it's worthwhile as a backup!

On MyHeritage, the process is explained in this screen shot below...and you can query the site's Knowledge Base for more details. 

Backups provide peace of mind that our family trees and genealogy data are safe, current, and available. I wrote about the value of backups in my genealogy book, Planning a Future for Your Family's Past.

4 comments:

  1. Keeping them current is really important. No sense in backing up once and then adding all kinds of new files to the computer! I back up my external drives a couple of times a year, but the cloud services back up daily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank goodness for the cloud...that way I know I can restore everything or almost everything and be up to date in case of a crash or glitch. Whew. Thanks for reading and commenting

      Delete
  2. Nancy Gilbride CaseyJune 01, 2024

    I've gotten regrettably lax about this, and I got my wakeup call last weekend when the EF3 tornado in N. Texas passed within 2 miles of my house. Thank you for a great reminder to do this! The unexpected happens...and I know my brain was not on saving all my work in those moments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very frightening to have a tornado so close. Stay safe and thanks for reading/commenting.

      Delete