Tuesday, May 14, 2024

Ancestor Bios of Military Veterans Make World History More Personal



In writing bite-sized bios of my husband's ancestors who were in the military, I've researched their units or militias and also tried to put their service into historical and familial context. This is especially important when I know fairly little about individuals who lived and died more than 150 years in the past. In the process, I hope to show my readers the personal side of world history, and the connection with family history.

In the above page about Elihu Wood Jr., I named his parents and said he was one of eight children, for family context. Also I pointed out that he was born only 20 years after the American Revolution, during which his father served for the Colonies.

In the War of 1812, Elihu became a private in the Massachusetts Militia, and I included an image from one of the state adjutant general books, showing his name and unit. 

Then I explained the historical background that prompted his two tours of two weeks each in the militia in 1814. Elihu's service, short though it might be, was an important element in the Colonial defense of the New England coastline. 

The final paragraph of this bite-sized bio provided some personal details about Elihu's wife (Sarah Howland) and their family. I ended with the observation that Sarah died just days after the 100th anniversary of the American Revolution. So even though I know only a bit about these people as individuals, adding the connection with world history puts them into a larger context and highlights the tradition of military service, both father and son being US veterans.


7 comments:

  1. So agree with your premise that placing your ancestors in context enlarges their story — and for veterans, knowing their ancestors served is particularly important.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks for taking a moment to read & comment.

      Delete
  2. Love this! I really enjoy doing bios on veteran ancestors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, veteran ancestors are so interesting!

      Delete
  3. Excellent use of smatterings of information to create a coherent mini-bio that puts the ancestor in micro- and macrocosm in the world. I'm ashamed to say I haven't done this with my own military ancestors. There's another project . . .

    ReplyDelete