Wednesday, September 13, 2023

Trying Different Archival Photo Albums

This year I've been experimenting with different types of archival photo albums, because I want the next generation to actually browse photos if they get the impulse. Before I join my ancestors, my goal is to caption and store all photos safely and conveniently. 

At top, two albums I'm trying out. At left is the Gaylord Archival Photo Preservation Album, which is actually a binder inside an archival box, easily stacked (it has reinforcing metal corners). At right is the sturdy Pioneer Pocket Photo Album, a tall album designed to stand upright or be stacked flat on a shelf.


I'm a fan of archival boxes in general, because they look neat and keep the contents flat and in good shape. Above, a peek inside the box, showing the three-ring binder and archival sleeves for 3.5" x 5" photos (or smaller sizes). I have dozens of tiny black-and-white photos taken by my late dad-in-law, which will fit in these sleeves and stay put. For caption purposes, I can include notes inside the box. An advantage is that the box will hold many more sleeves to store many more photos, which are doubly safe: inside sleeves and within the archival box. 

Here's a closeup of the Pioneer album, which holds archival sleeves for 4" x 6" photos (or smaller images sizes). I slipped in a few photos as part of my test. The sleeves have space for written captions next to photos, a real plus because I can jot notes as I go. Although these albums are too tall to stand upright on my bookshelf, they can lay flat or be stacked. In my first try, I crammed too many sleeves into the binder and had to order a second binder to hold the overflow (lesson learned). 

My test is a work in progress, and I don't have a clear preference quite yet. Either album format will keep photos in good shape for the future. No matter how you store your family photos, in albums or boxes or binders, I encourage you to think "archival" so the images and captions will be safe for the sake of many generations to come.

13 comments:

  1. I've used the albums from University Products in Holyoke, MA for years. They're great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've ordered from that firm as well, good quality!

      Delete
  2. I am such a geek over archival boxes. I have a few of those photo album ones and I love, love them. I'm planning to swap all our old albums over slowly since they are kind of expensive. But in the long run, so worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comment. I love archival boxes too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love archival albums, but have never found one that works fully. Many of my older photos are odd sizes that won't fit in standard sleeves... I try to keep families together, but then don't know what to do with the odd-sized pics. *sigh* A family historian's work is never done...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also have odd-shaped photos but for now, I'm slipping them into the sleeves even if they are too small! TY for commenting.

      Delete
  5. Gone are the days when I had time for that, but I was on a quest for the same exact thing over 25 years ago for our family phots, then about 12 years ago for my family history photos. Let us know which you prefer! P.S. All our family photos, for the last 2 decades or longer are in the Pioneer ones; I have about 20 all lined up on a shelf. Our nicest photos, not snapshots, are in C.R. Gibson magnetic page albums that you can add to anytime with extra add on pages. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a huge problem with the "magnetic" albums - photos sticking to the pages! I removed all my photos from those years ago when I first read about them being bad for your photos. Sadly, some photos tore in the removal process, even with using dental floss (as recommended in many places) to remove them.

      Delete
    2. I also had some trouble with snapshots sticking to the old magnetic photo albums. On the other hand, some lost their "magnetic" property and the photos fell out easily!

      Delete
    3. Yes, that happened too - some photos just fell out, thankfully! The Pioneer albums were part of the replacements.

      Delete
  6. I've been using the Pioneer albums like yours for years now. Originally, it was the ones with the posts rather than the ring binders. You can expand the post type, but it's a bit harder. I've used up all the ring binders, though (decided to use those for the photos for my son), so I'll need to use the post style for the photos from 2006 on that I still need to put in albums.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment. I tested a post type album but decided it was easier to go with ring binders wherever possible.

      Delete
    2. I agree, Marion, the ring binders are much easier, especially for adding ephemera (like brochures, maps, etc.) that don't fit in the photo pages - in photo-safe sleeves, of course! I bought the post ones first so I'm going to use what I have. I have had to adjust shelves in some bookcases to get them to fit standing vertically.

      Delete