Sunday, October 2, 2022

It's October: Have You Found Your 1950 Ancestors?

It's October, Family History Month! And it's been six months since the US National Archives released the mid-century Census taken on April 1, 1950.

If you haven't yet found your ancestors in that Census, this is a good time to try again, because indexing is nearly complete! 

Plus access to the 1950 US Census is free on all the major genealogy sites. 

Below are some links to check out, including search, browsing, and extra info for background.

Tip: If you can't find your ancestor using one site, try a different one. A couple of my ancestors didn't shown up in a search on one site but were indexed and discoverable by a search on another site. 

FamilySearch.org 

www.familysearch.org/1950census/ (current index review status, background on this US Census)

www.familysearch.org/en/wiki/United_States_Census_1950 (release details, links to forms, lots more)

www.familysearch.org/search/collection/4464515 (search or browse the 1950 Census)

Ancestry.com

www.ancestry.com/c/1950-census  (search this US Census, and background on this Census) 

https://support.ancestry.com/s/article/1950-U-S-Federal-Census (includes link to search this Census)

https://support.ancestry.com/s/article/Census-District-Finder?language=en_US (how and why to use district finder feature, useful for browsing in an Enumeration District for FAN club members)

MyHeritage.com 

www.myheritage.com/census/us  (tips and search link for 1950 US Census)

www.myheritage.com/research/collection-11006/1950-united-states-federal-census (index reviewed by people)

www.myheritage.com/research/collection-11011/1950-united-states-federal-census-ai-index (indexed by computer)

www.myheritage.com/research/collection-11009/1950-united-states-federal-census-images (browse 1950 images by state, county, Enumeration District)

This is my entry for the Genealogy Blog Party for October, 2022.

4 comments:

  1. I found my family, bit it's so small that I only needed to look for one in NJ and one in MA and they were right where they were supposed to me. I wasn't around to make it into the 1950 census. Next time, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right where they were supposed to be! Nearly all my family members were where expected, but I'm still seeking a few stragglers.

      Delete
  2. I found everyone in the first 2 days, when the digital images came out, except my mom (1 1/2) with her mom, or 1 great grandparent. They must have missed the census somehow. I tried again when the indexing came out, on every site, even though I did a thorough search with the digital images already, and I still did not find them. I was really excited to see my mom on the census, but sadly, she is not on one. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry. Maybe they were not recorded correctly, and possibly misindexed. I found one of my great uncles only by looking for first names of his two children. He was misidentified as "Arthur" when his name was actually "Fred." Wishing you luck and hoping your Mom will show up!

      Delete