Monday, December 4, 2017

Remembering Twins of an Earlier Generation

Probably Dorothy on left, Daisy on right
My mother (Daisy Schwartz Burk, 1919-1981) and her twin sister (Dorothy Schwartz, 1919-2001) were born in the Bronx on December 4th, 1919.

They were born just months after the 19th Amendment to the Constitution was passed, granting women the right to vote. This amendment was ratified by the summer of 1920 and in November of that year, women across America were able to vote in the Presidential election. 

Once they came of age, Mom and Auntie were always diligent about voting. The next generation of women in our family has been brought up to know the importance of exercising our right to vote in every election.

Missing Mom and Auntie on their special day and remembering them always, with love.

3 comments:

  1. Adorable photo. Yes, I can imagine that the vote for women was extra important to those who saw it happen & its importance was passed on to their daughters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is an adorable photo and a wonderful legacy. My grandmother's first cousin was one of the first women to vote in the state of Connecticut but I had to learn that in my research, not because it was talked about in the family which is too bad!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Colleen and Anna, my mother and her sister felt strongly about voting...and their father as well. I remember a framed newspaper photo of FDR in my grandparents' hallway, a constant reminder of their admiration.

    Thanks for leaving me your comments!

    ReplyDelete