Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Wordless Wednesday: 107-year-old Washington's B-Day Postcard

Here's another of the delightful, colorful holiday postcards sent to hubby's uncle Wallis W. Wood. This one is from February 22, 1909 and was mailed to Wallis in Cleveland Heights by his aunt, Nellie (Rachel Ellen Wood) Kirby, who lived in Chicago. This time, no stamp or postmark, no signature or sentiment, only Wallis's name (not spelled correctly, as is usual on these postcards). So I imagine the card was enclosed in a letter from Nellie to the Wood family.

4 comments:

  1. I love that card. I've never come across anything like it in my card shopping. My maternal grandfather was a Canadian born to an American father on February 22, 1898. His parents named him George Washington Smith.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment! This is quite a striking card, I agree. Happy 118th bday to your grandpa.

      Delete
  2. Over 100 years old and the colors on that card are vibrant! It has been well cared for. Thanks for sharing, Marian!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Colleen, I'm astonished by the good condition--but then again, these were in sealed boxes for many years. The recipient's son allowed me to scan them for digital safekeeping!

      Delete