Sunday, May 23, 2010

Here's to Cousins

This week I've talked with two of my cousins. One is the genealogist of my maternal grandmother's family, a smart researcher who gets things done through a combination of online resources and helpers at the local FHC. She's recuperating from a broken hip and has had to put genealogy on hold for now, but we've been enjoying our discussions about the process of genealogy, not just the vital information she uncovers. We learn from each other and laugh a lot at the twists and turns in the genealogical road.

The other cousin has been a wonderful source of details that helped me investigate new branches of the family tree. She's not involved in genealogy but she welcomes the opportunity to talk about our common ancestors. Unfortunately, she has no photos to share, but she does remember family stories and has a very keen mind. If not for her, I would know nothing about my grandfather's siblings. And I'm delighted to get to know her and hear about her daily life.

So here's to cousins! Long may we be connected and talk about all kinds of things, not just family history.

3 comments:

  1. I have just found a 2nd cousin in England and we have enjoyed sharing with each other. They sure help. Now if I could just find more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mary and GrannyPam, Thank you for reading and sharing. Who knows--we may discover even more cousins we never knew we had! (Let's hope so.)

    ReplyDelete