Monday, February 22, 2010

Teddy's Dairy

Hidden among 1970s photos (stored in a Clairol electric roller box) was a large brown envelope with a Macy's logo and the address "New York 1, New York."

Inside that pre-Zip code envelope was the above photo of my grandfather Teddy (right) in front of his grocery store, Teddy's Dairy, in the Bronx. He was 47 at the time, since the back of the photo includes a hand-written date of 1934. I didn't realize he was a notary (see window). At the left margin of the photo is a bit of dress, which it's tempting to think is being worn by my grandmother Minnie.

This is a wonderful find; we suspect my aunt put the photo into one of her friend's envelopes (the friend worked at Macy's) and stashed it away. What else is hiding in the boxes in my sister's house?!

3 comments:

  1. Marian,
    I love this picture of the store front with your grandfather Teddy. My Dad was a fireman in The Bronx from 1939 to 1959. Wouldn't it be too funny if it was the same neighbor. I hope you find more great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great picture, not only for your family history but for the neighborhood as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mary and Lori,
    Many thanks for reading and commenting! And did you notice the Taystee Bread logos at top of the store window? Nostalgic photo for so many reasons . . .

    ReplyDelete