Saturday, March 26, 2011

Saturday Shopping: Hardy Boys in Cleveland Heights


This is a guest post from my hubby, Wally, about his experiences as a 13-year-old (late 1940s) in Cleveland Heights, OH.

"The corner drug store--2 blocks from my home--was the neighborhood club house. In addition to being a pharmacy, it sold magazines, cigarettes/cigars, candy, and had a soda fountain (about that, more in a later post).

"I would stand at the magazine display reading comic books ("Captain Marvel," "Wonder Woman," "Classics Comics") and I suspect that the pharmacist, to distract me (and to save his comics from being dog-eared!), hired me (at age 13) to mop the floor, deliver prescriptions on my bicycle, and sort redeemed soda bottles. I worked a few days after school and on Saturdays.

"When word of my working got back to Monticello Jr High in Cleveland Heights, the principal told me I was too young to be working and that I'd be 'pushing up daisies' before I was 21. I ignored him.

"The pharmacist-owner paid me $5 per week. I spent most of it on Hardy Boys books. To get to the nearest bookstore, I had to take a bus or two and ride for at least half an hour--on my own. I remember feeling really pleased: A Hardy Boys' book may have been the very first book I bought for myself (and it's not the last, by far!). I think the books were $2.95 apiece.

"Over the months, I gradually accumulated the first 23 books in the series. The ostensible author was Franklin W. Dixon but I learned, as an adult, that the Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew books were the products of the Stratemeyer Syndicate, churned out by different writers. I grew up, joined the Army, and my mother eventually threw out or gave away my Hardy Boys collection. I never missed it."

4 comments:

  1. Wonderful post! Very much enjoyed the walk down memory lane. By the way, my brother-in-law was born and raised in Euclid, Ohio.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deb, Thanks for reading and commenting. Euclid isn't all that far from where hubby grew up! Thanks,

    Marian

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a neat post...how cool that your DH is interested and willing to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Dee, As long as I sit at the keyboard, fingers poised over the keys, and ask him to talk about the day's topic, he's happy to reminisce! Often these are new stories to me, too. Thanks for stopping by and leaving me a note! Best,

    Marian

    ReplyDelete