Monday, July 29, 2024

"An Excellent Steward" for Family History Collections

Donate old family papers to an institution?

As a quilter, I've enjoyed Jennifer Chiaverini's Elm Creek Quilts series for years. In her latest novel, The Museum of Lost Quilts, characters are tracking down long-lost quilts and documentation to help tell the story of a historic building and the town's past, from before the Civil War to after WWII.

The protagonist, Summer Sullivan, is finishing her master's degree in history and spending part of the summer curating a small but growing collection of antique quilts, also writing museum labels for photos of quilts that are missing but historically significant. Summer reads through old memoirs, letters, newspapers, and other documents in the college library's rare books room, in search of clues to identify and confirm details about these quilts, the quilters who made them, and the people who owned them over the years.

Private letters and more

Summer is fortunate when some local residents come forward with private letters and other materials they've saved from family history. She enthusiastically tells one woman: "If you're looking for an excellent steward for [ancestor's] letters, as well as the rest of the ... family papers, I highly recommend the rare books and special collections department" at the local college library.

The woman is receptive, responding: "For quite a long while, I've wanted these papers to be available for students and local historians. This might be the perfect way to do so. I'll need to think it over and discuss it with my cousins. While I own most of the collection, several boxes belong to other members of the family, and I'd like to have some consensus."

The woman returns several weeks later and tells Summer: "We've decided to gather all of the papers together in a single archive and donate it to a library or museum." She then asks for an introduction to the head archivist at the local college library.

Curate and donate your family history collection

As best-selling author Jennifer Chiaverini emphasizes, local historical societies, college and public libraries, county archives, and many other institutions can be excellent stewards for family history collections. As you plan ahead for the future of your genealogy materials, please talk with your family and consider donating some or all of your collection to an appropriate institution, to keep the family's past alive for future generations. Those old photos and letters may contain clues that help historians in the years to come, just as Summer Sullivan solved some local history mysteries by reading private correspondence in family histories.

4 comments:

  1. I love the Elm Creek Quilts series but haven't read this one that you mention. The book does have an important message. I have nobody in my family who would be interested in taking my research information, so I have given thought to what I will do with it. I must admit though as yet, I have done nothing about it. Thanks for the reminder
    Jen - https://jonesfamilyhistory.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nancy Gilbride CaseyJuly 31, 2024

    This sounds like a great book, that I will now add to my list. It has also inspired me to write about a book I just read that deals with some of the same issues of passing on a family's legacy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to let my sister know about this series! She is a master quilter. I did not inherit any kind of sewing skills, unfortunately. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great way to encourage donations of materials. Thanks for pointing it out.

    ReplyDelete