Tuesday, January 9, 2024

Top Four Blog Posts of 2023

 


During 2023, I wrote 117 posts. These four had the most views of the year:

  • In Beta at Ancestry: Top Hints. Read the full post here. I was interested in testing this new Ancestry feature, which were designed to show hints that "will help you make better discoveries." Well, no more top hints, only hints on Ancestry. The usual hints, organized according to all hints, record hints, photo hints, story hints, tree hints, and 1950 US Census hints. I do check hints on occasion, when I'm focusing on a particular ancestor, but I don't go systematically through the thousands of hints for each tree.
  • Prepping for the 1931 Canadian Census Release. Read the full post here. Good info for planning, and putting Census answers into context. Rather than try to find elusive Canadian ancestors through searching by home address, I waited for indexing and easily found most of my targeted ancestors. As Gail Dever recently noted, the 1931 Canadian Census is now fully indexed and conveniently searchable (with multiple variables) on FamilySearch. 
  • Dating Family Photos, Investigating Photographers. Read the full post here. I've tried the MyHeritage PhotoDater on multiple photos and I like how it attempts to narrow the range of years, giving me a bit of a headstart. I still like researching photographers like Beldegreen, who took many of the photos of my immigrant maternal grandparents.
  • Are Genealogy Blogs Still Relevant? Read full post here. This is my 16th year of genealogy blogging (and my 26th year of researching family history). Yes, I definitely think genealogy blogs remain relevant, even in this era of videos and short-form social media platforms. As I said in my August post, I sincerely appreciate the genealogy bloggers who have been offering tips and tricks and stories and more. You all inspire me to keep digging and keep blogging. 

3 comments:

  1. Congrats on your top four posts of 2023! I celebrate my 10th blogging anniversary this year, and I agree that blogging is still relevant. Although the quantity of bloggers has gone down, the quality of those who remain has stayed high. Congrats as well for reaching year 16!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was so happy you wrote that post asking if Genealogy Blogs Are Still Relevant. I talked with someone a few months ago who said, "Oh, no one blogs anymore" and I was happy to direct her to the GeneaBloggers Facebook page as well as Amy Johnson Crow's 52 Ancestors page. Blogging is still alive and kicking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on your top 4 posts! The "Are Genealogy Blogs Still Relevant" was definitely food for thought. :)

    ReplyDelete