Monday, November 27, 2023

V Is For Veteran


Although Veterans Day has come and gone, I'm still submitting edits or making edits on Find a Grave to designate the veterans in my family tree. It's a way of honoring my ancestors who served in the military, memorialized on a site that is free, searchable, and accessible worldwide. 


At top, the edit screen for my cousin Harry Pitler's Find a Grave memorial, which I created and maintain. To edit, I moved the veteran designation to indicate Harry was a veteran. Once I clicked "save changes," the memorial showed a tiny V next to his name, as in the screen capture directly above.

For memorials I don't manage, I submit edits. Below, the "suggest edits" screen for my cousin Michael Marks. I moved the designation marker to indicate that Michael was a veteran and clicked "save suggestions." This edit will be sent to the person who maintains Michael's memorial on Find a Grave. Since Michael's gravestone lists his military service, I'm sure the veteran designation will be quickly approved and visible on his memorial page. UPDATE: Less than 24 hours later, this and all other "veteran" designation edits I submitted were approved!


When you have a few minutes, why don't you take a look at the Find a Grave memorials for your ancestors who served in the military. If they are not designated as veterans, you can submit edits to add the V for Veteran on their memorials, as another way to honor their service to country. 

6 comments:

  1. This is such a great idea, I'll have to see if I can apply it to the burials I've found for my family

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a wonderful way to honor those who served. Years from now, that detail will not be forgotten.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for highlighting this. I had no idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't been working on my genealogy much but I did stumble across this feature and added the "V" to the memorials I manage. But I didn't even think about asking memorial managers for others to make the edit - thanks for the suggestion!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How wonderful that you are honoring the Veterans in your family! Are these designations (Veteran, Famous, and Close) new? I have never noticed these before! What a great addition to Find a Grave! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for writing about this, I didn't know about this!

    ReplyDelete