Monday, June 1, 2020

June 1 = Backup Day

Old backup technology
Today is backup day.

After a computer glitch deleted hundreds of my photos a few years ago, I restored most of them by rummaging in my old backup CDs. Old-fashioned by 2020 standards, but they worked exactly as they were intended!

These days, I safeguard my 22 years of genealogy research with automated backups and backups of my backups.

Plus, on the first of every month, another backup ritual.

Automated:  My Mac's Time Machine backs up every day to a dedicated external hard drive. In addition, I have a BackBlaze account that backs up files and photos and letters (not applications) to the cloud on a daily basis.

Not automated: Every time I open my RootsMagic 7 genealogy software, I first sync with my multiple Ancestry trees. Then I backup these trees to my external hard drive before I close the software.

On the first day of every month, I manually download my Ancestry trees as Gedcoms and back them up on my Mac and in the cloud.

Plus I have a separate external hard drive backup just for photos, scanned images, and other genealogy data.

When I prepare a family history booklet or scan an album or some old letters, I put copies (works in progress and finished products) on this drive.

How do you backup your #FamilyHistory?

2 comments:

  1. I, too, have BackBlaze (since I came to the point where I know how devastated I'd be if my computer crashed). Monthly, I back up my new genealogy files to a USB and to Box.com. I also send a copy of my Legacy Family Tree to the Families app on my iphone & ipad (not so much as a back up, but more to be mobile). And every day that I update my tree, I save the backup file to Box & Legacy saves it to Legacy Cloud.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment, Christine! You are very prepared. I, too, have a few specialized USBs for completed genealogy projects as backups for my backups.

    ReplyDelete