Monday, February 18, 2019

Taking Care of 102 Year Old Photos

Yesterday was the day. I slit open the package of special archival acid-free buffered tissue paper I purchased at the end of last year, intended for interleaving within photo albums. This was on my genealogy to-do list for 2019, and now it is checked off!

Above, a photo of my late father-in-law's 1917 photo album, with the archival box in which I store it (note identifying label on the box).

This 1917 album is the oldest I've been entrusted with, as the genealogist of this generation. I've also been entrusted with my late father-in-law's 1926 Tufts College album.

It's up to me to safeguard these old photo albums so they survive for future descendants to enjoy. Each album has its own archival box, so it doesn't get jostled or damaged. But without interleaving between the pages, items on the pages might deteriorate or rub off on each other. That's why I needed to work on interleaving.

Along the way, I learned a couple of lessons about how to carefully place interleaving paper between pages of albums. Of course, begin by washing/drying hands and putting all materials on a clean, dry surface, far from liquids, foods, perfumes, etc. Then:
  1. Start from the back of the album and work your way forward. That way, the paper doesn't slip out or shift as easily. 
  2. Turn pages gently so they don't rip or flake as you slip in the archival paper.
  3. If pages have multiple overlapping items glued down, place a small piece of interleaving paper between these so they don't rub off on each other or discolor each other. Then place one piece of paper over all.
  4. Don't overstuff between album pages! 
  5. If archival papers hang off too much, carefully cut off the edges (leaving a small margin all around the album) at the end of the project. I used the extra paper cut off to "stuff" next to one album so it doesn't rattle in the box.
Thanks to Amy Johnson Crow for this week's #52Ancestors prompt of "family photo."

Backlink to #Genealogy Blog Party: https://fresh.inlinkz.com/party/17204e79bd4a4994b4ee124260bea876 

7 comments:

  1. There are lots of great tips here. I have generations of photos. I have scanned most of them but I do want to take care of the originals. You have inspired me to get some acid free paper and more archival safe boxes. Thanks for your post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Colleen, best of luck preserving your originals. And thank you for your comment!

      Delete
  2. Do you anticipate that you will take the album out again to show someone or is this the final step after scanning?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Wendy, I will probably take it out again, even though it's been scanned. I try to show originals to the younger generation now and then. They are invariably impressed by stuff that is more than a century old!

      Delete
  3. Great timing. I may need this for my Aunt's photo collection as many photos are glued into a paper album. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading and commenting. Glad to hear you have your aunt's photo albums to preserve for future generations.

      Delete
  4. Your statement - It's up to me to safeguard these old photo albums so they survive for future descendants to enjoy. - is exactly how I feel. I am just the caretaker until they pass to the next generation. It's so important to make sure they remain in the best possible condition.

    ReplyDelete