Friday, December 31, 2010

Family Recipe Friday - Grandmother McClure's Butterscotch Brownies

Floyda Mabel Steiner McClure, my husband's grandmother, made these not-too-sweet butterscotch brownies. You can see her below, reading to my husband (pre-TV days).


For a little Christmas family bonus, we gave out copies of this recipe held in a cute glass recipe holder clip, along with specialty toppings to be attached with icing.

Grandma McClure's Butterscotch Brownies

7/8 cup flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
3/8 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter (or margerine)
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 eggs, well beaten
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9" or 8" round or square pan.
  2. Sift flour with baking powder and salt. In a separate bowl, cream butter and add sugar gradually to blend thoroughly.
  3. Stir in eggs and vanilla to butter/sugar mixture. Then stir in sifted ingredients. Add nuts if desired. Batter will be fairly smooth and thin.
  4. Spread batter in greased pan, bake at 350 for 20 min. Check for doneness with a toothpick. If toothpick is clean/dry, remove brownies from oven.
  5. Cool, cut into squares, dust with powdered sugar, and serve with ice cream for best taste!
Sharing recipes from ancestors is one way to keep family history alive--as discussed in my genealogy book, Planning a Future for Your Family's Past.


4 comments:

  1. I love your blog. The butterscotch brownies sound so yummy! I started a blog recently about collecting my (deceased) mother's family recipes. Only one problem - since her passing, my family has become estranged, so getting the recipes has been, well, difficult. So if I can't get the recipes from 'them', then hopefully I can get a derivative thereof from some bloggers. The blog is also a therapeutic voice for me to try to leave my family of origin behind.

    I like the way you have added pictures and researched your ancestry along with the recipes. (I might actually steal your ideas).

    Could you kindly look at my URL and provide any feedback? I've only put two blogs on, but they felt great! The URL is HTTP://TaddeyGirlRecipes.blogspot.com.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment. I wish you the best of luck in finding or recreating your mother's treasured recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The search is over. I have been looking for a butterscotch brownie recipe I lost for years. Then I found Floyda's brownies. Oh my! They are wonderful! I added your family recipe to my cooking blog with a link to this site. I cannot tell how wonderfully balanced these brownies are. Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My great-grandmother used to make butterscotch brownies. Although it has been decades since I had them, I think I will try out your Grandmother McClure's recipe to see if they are as yummy as my great-grandma's brownies. I suspect they will be. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete