Thursday, April 1, 2010

Treasure Chest Thursday--Madcap Dora

This photo is marked "Dora" and others are marked "Madcap Dora, Grandma's friend." Asked about the nickname, my mother said (long ago) that madcap was an affectionate term for someone who did slightly zany things. The only Dora I've ever been able to find in the family is Dora Mahler, my paternal grandmother's younger sister, who was just 56 when she died. UPDATE in 2022: Dora Mahler is NOT Madcap Dora. Dora Mahler is in fact my grandma Henrietta Mahler Burk's daughter. 

We have more than half a dozen photos of Madcap Dora, and she does appear in a few photos with this gentleman at her side. Who is he? Who is Madcap Dora? 2022 update: no news about who this Dora might be, yet.

4 comments:

  1. Love this picture! They do seem like they are a couple. It would be wonderful if you knew who the gentleman was.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so right, Lori, the man in this photo was obviously important to Madcap Dora. How I wish I had a clue to his identity! But since he's not going to be featured on "Who Do You Think You Are" this week (or any other week), he's still a mystery to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marian - you have been awarded the Ancestor Approved award for your great work on your genealogy blog...please stop by my blog and pick up the award and then post the below information using the format I used when receiving it.

    The Ancestor Approved Award asks that the recipient list ten things you have learned about any of your ancestors that has surprised, humbled, or enlightened you and pass the award along to ten other bloggers who you feel are doing their ancestors proud. Here are the 10 things I have learned from my ancestors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lisa,

    Thank you for bestowing the Ancestor Approved award. On behalf of my ancestors, I humbly accept! It's an honor . . . and I thank you for reading and commenting.

    I'll post my Ancestor Approved "lessons learned" very soon.

    - Marian

    ReplyDelete