Sunday, March 12, 2017

Tuesday's Tip: Free or Fee Genealogy, Part 4--Learn to Record-Strip

Do you record-strip?

Record-strip is a term used by the historians on a recent Backstory podcast about American history. They were referring to the practice of gleaning as much info as possible from each document and using those insights to develop a more nuanced view of an individual in historical context.

There's a difference between collecting documents for genealogy and actually record-stripping them. And doing a Genealogy Do-Over is forcing me to go back and reexamine my collection.

Years ago, when I was taking my first baby steps in genealogy, I was given a checklist of personal sources to use in researching my ancestors. Many were documents that an ancestor would have during the course of his or her life and many were documents to be obtained from authorities (for a fee) or to be created in the course of my research.

You can see an excellent checklist of suggested sources (free and fee) on Family Search. And these checklists are extremely valuable!

But as a baby genealogist, I didn't really know how to use the list. I enthusiastically set off in search of these documents and checked off each item for each ancestor, as you can see on the actual list excerpt here.

In other words, I was playing genealogy bingo, acquiring or creating the documents without understanding exactly why. When a document wasn't readily available, I thought about who in the family might have it or how I might acquire it, free or fee.

It didn't take long for me to realize that the point wasn't to acquire as many of those items as possible and check them off when I filed them away.

I didn't have the terminology or experience then, but now I can say the point is to record-strip the documents for specific details. What can each document tell me about my ancestor?


For example, "library cards" are on the list. What can those records show, apart from a love of learning or books? Maybe a nickname, maybe a clue to a neighborhood I didn't know my ancestor lived in. What about "funeral home receipts"? A hint about who had the money to pay for a certain ancestor's funeral, or the name of "next of kin" being a relative I didn't know about . . . you get the idea.

Before I can determine what is worth paying for, I need to step back and think: What will that record tell me? Do I have the info on another document or can I get it fairly easily from another source? Is the info "nice to know" or truly "need to know"?

So Tuesday's Tip is: Learn to record-strip each document and get full value from it, don't just play genealogy bingo.

8 comments:

  1. You deserve an A+ and a gold star for this tip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, you are so sweet. Thank you! More tips to come in my "free or fee" series.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You always have good tips to share!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great tip and just in time for my Genealogy Do-Over.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great advice, this is a very good series!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a terrific list! It seems very comprehensive and definitely gives ideas of "what else" to look for. Thanks for this tip!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Many thanks for the comments, folks. I'll have more to say on the "free or fee" subject soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like this post a lot, I have started to use a system where I basically do a bunch of record grabbing from Ancestry and then when I have no wifi access I will go through each individual record and add EVERY person mentioned in them to my files. Then I go through the information about the main subjects and people I suspect may be family or close friends and add the facts from the record to them.

    ReplyDelete