Wednesday, November 9, 2011

A Day of Remembrance: Captain Slatter of the 48th Highlanders

Captain Slatter, one of my husband's great uncles, lived in Canada and served in WWI (I've written about him here). And once again, I'm posting this photo of the captain in full regalia.
Thanks to Darcy Murray, who posted a comment on my original post about Captain Slatter, I learned that this is the dress uniform of the 48th Highlanders of Canada. This morning, Lt. Kassissia of the 48th Highlanders responded to my inquiry by confirming that yes, Captain Slatter does appear to be wearing the 48th Highlanders' uniform and my inquiry will be forwarded to the Regimental Museum for further study! 

UPDATE in 2022: Hubby and I visited the museum a few years earlier and shared genealogical info with the curators, as well as being privileged to see their collection of Slatter memorabilia! For more, see my ancestor landing page here.


In Canada, November 11 is Remembrance Day, as in America it's Veteran's Day. So this week I want to post a poppy in remembrance of Captain Slatter and all those veterans who have served our nations. Thank you for your service!

2 comments:

  1. The Museum will be able toprovide more, but I think I can assist you a bit. Capt John Slater, MBE, VD was the bandmaster of the 48th Highlanders Regimental Band. He joined the Regiment in 1896, served with the Regiment in WWI and, at 82 was the bandmaster when the Regiment returned from WWII. He retired from active service in 1946. The Dileas, the Regimental history, says that he was as ramrod-straight the day he retired as the day he joined the Regiment.

    He was made a Member of the Order of the British Empire -- the MBE post nominals -- and receiver a meritorious service medal -- the (unfortunately denoted) VD post nominals. He was also awared a King George V Silver Jubilee Medal.

    Patrick Shea

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many thanks to Patrick Shea for these details! I've been in touch with the Regimental Museum and they have Capt. Jack's medals on display. Now I'm hoping to trace the Captain's descendants, who are cousins via the link to Mary Slatter Wood.

    ReplyDelete