Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Thanksgiving, Nov 22, 1945 in Shoemaker, CA





Ruby Wasserman, who wrote dozens of letters to Mom while in the US Navy, sent her this menu from the U.S. Naval Training and Distribution Center in Shoemaker, California.

Ruby was a little doubtful before dinner . . . he wrote: "Many a time when we were told that the food was going to be exceptionally good, it turned out to be terrible. I hope that it is not true in this case." Later he continued in this long letter: "It was delicious in all respects. I had some of everything, and right now I am still eating some of the nuts I got. Next year I hope to be eating turkey as a civilian."

For anyone doing genealogical research, the names of the top officers listed in this menu are:

O.M. Forster, Commodore, USN, Commander
J.M. Bloom, Captain, USNR, Chief Staff Officer
H.V. Moon, Lt. Comdr., USNR, Commissary Officer

1 comment:

  1. Hi Marian, I wanted to let you know that I've enjoyed your posts concerning the WWII correspondence between your mother and her friends, etc. Great information and so nice to read about your parents' relationship developing.
    Nancy Hurley

    ReplyDelete